The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

New Zeland quake
was not able to get "reply" to work to Marc's post. It kept saying limited to 85 characters. I'm probably doing something dumb. I've been having trouble and have lost posts I'd written. I'll try here:

Hi Marc,

what is your background: are you an earth scientist or just interested?

Your link was highly interesting to me and I forwarded it to 5 earth scientists. Part of my email to them is below. Other quakes that ruptured multiple faults include the 1992 Landers quake in the SE California desert, and the 2010 Baja California El Mayor quake (both larger than M7)

The link is very worthwhile. There are some obvious implications for California margin including Los Angeles (and North Channel-Pitas Point beneath Santa Barbara and UCSB). Although not at the end of an active subduction zone.

Mark (Legg) for example was talking to us decades ago about the strike-slip faults in Inner Borderland being linked by detachments (or something like that)

http://thespinoff.co.nz/science/16-11-20...ura-quake/
Probably seismology will show that these surface faults are connected at depth by something.

Chris

Messages In This Thread
New Zeland quake - by Island Chris - 11-17-2016, 01:15 PM