Forum Structure Comments
(01-17-2014, 09:14 AM)EQF Wrote: Forum Structure Comments

1. Once again regarding the displayed board time,

Already discussed...

http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/showthre...e=threaded.

The board show UTC when you are not logged in.

If you log in, you can set your own time zone through your profile settings, "User CP".

I have not yet found how to get it to show the time zone.

(01-17-2014, 09:14 AM)EQF Wrote: 2. Proposed Combined Forum Web Page

In notes posted to the previous EarthWaves board I stated that this new board format might be less attractive to many visitors than the old one as people need to jump around from forum to forum to see what is being discussed. And the relatively low number of visits to the board so far might support that argument.

And how do you know what the stats were on the old forum before the switch?

Yes, the hits are lower, because the spam bots are still trying to hit the old board. On both boards I am routinely dealing with false registration attempts. There's a lot going on behind the scenes that no one else sees.

(01-17-2014, 09:14 AM)EQF Wrote: That way, people such as myself who want to see what everyone is posting could visit a single forum page and easily scroll down to see what had been posted in all recent notes.

Easily finding new posts was already discussed, before we even switched...

http://www.earthwaves.org/wwwboard/messages/101498.html

Once you log in, top left corner, "View New Posts".

(01-17-2014, 09:14 AM)EQF Wrote: 3. Finally, I recommend that you check on the following.

It appears that to log on to his or her account, a person’s Internet browser needs to allow “Cookies.”

On the help page (which was also previously discussed), there is a section on the use of cookies by the forum software.

http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/misc.php?action=help

Cookies are not mandatory. For myself, I have them set to expire when I shut down the browser, so that means every day ALL messages are marked as new. However, once I log in, the board software knows what I have or have not read.

Oh, and in Firefox 22 at least, you can turn off cookies and yet still have exceptions to allow cookies based on a white list of websites that you are willing to accept cookies from. Check whatever browser you are using to see if it has similar capability.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-17-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-17-2014, 11:27 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-24-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-25-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-26-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-27-2014, 03:52 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM