Forum Structure Comments
(01-26-2014, 09:40 PM)Skywise Wrote: Hyperlinks were already differentiated by use of a different color of text, but I agree it didn't contrast well.

They now contrast well, and are underlined.

That was actually an easy fix.

Still haven't found the darn template for the date/time.

You think the board itself is hard to use? Then you'll never want to install this software on your own because the back end has a couple orders of magnitude more complexity. (But I personally like that)

These kinds of edits are not a simple matter of clicking a switch box or editing an html file. Primarily because there are no html files to edit. Everything is controlled through the use of CSS templates, and there are thousands. And to confuse things further, templates nest within templates within more templates.... ad nauseum. So, I'm still a little lost in how things are structured. Huh

Whenever you view a page in this forum, the html code that is sent to you is dynamically generated AT THAT MOMENT based on all the settings and templates and contents of the database. It may seem a convoluted way of doing things, but in the end it gives you maximum flexibility, once you figure it all out. Smile

BTW, I'm aware of only one other forum that is similar in format to the old Earthwaves. All other forums I see are more like this one. (discounting usenet, of course, but who uses that anymore?) Big Grin

Brian

That other post resulted from my clicking the wrong button.

I can now see why moving from forum to forum takes a while on my computer. My download speed is medium rather than fast. And the main Web page contains much more information than the older board.

My attitude regarding the board program is that any protected bulletin board is better than no bulletin board at all.

So far I have not had time to consider what might be done to make it attractive for people that I talk with to discuss earthquake forecasting research on a public bulletin board. The one thing they will not tolerate is criticism. And a single response posting by Roger could drive them all away (humor intended).

I don’t really have time to monitor a bulletin board myself. But that might eventually happen. Or it is possible that this board will evolve to a point where other forecasters will start posting notes.

This comment will not make any difference. And I am not suggesting that the board should move back to the older software. But I do have to say that in a single day you could have learned enough Perl programming to modify the other board program any way you wished. It isn’t that difficult. However, I don’t know if it would have been easily possible to add the picture display feature to the board’s Perl language program. And that important addition is present with this program.

You might consider creating a help page that is specific for people who are posting notes. For a start, instead of having all of the information in different help files, one file would contain information regarding how to change the Windows cookie permission area, how to add links to a note, how to add a picture to a note, how to underline, use bold text etc. I can’t think of too many other things that are important to a science oriented bulletin board. Then you could just add additional information to that Web page as various things are discussed. And instruct new posters to read that help page to learn how to add links etc. to their posts.

Anyway, it appears that the links matter has been solved without any problems although I believe that links are normally displayed as dark or light blue. Actually, that really doesn’t matter. The underlining is usually the most important thing. I thought that that would probably be a fairly easy adjustment.

Messages In This Thread
Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-17-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-17-2014, 11:27 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-24-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-25-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-26-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-27-2014, 03:52 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM