Forum Structure Comments
(01-27-2014, 03:52 AM)EQF Wrote: I can now see why moving from forum to forum takes a while on my computer. My download speed is medium rather than fast. And the main Web page contains much more information than the older board.

I don't know where you get that idea.

The new main page is 19k in size.

The top post of this thread is 27k.

The old main page is 428k, nearly 10 times bigger than both of those other pages combined.

BTW, DSL is about the same or just a bit more than dialup. I'm sure it's available for your area, unless you're in the middle of Siberia.

(01-27-2014, 03:52 AM)EQF Wrote: My attitude regarding the board program is that any protected bulletin board is better than no bulletin board at all.

So far I have not had time to consider what might be done to make it attractive for people that I talk with to discuss earthquake forecasting research on a public bulletin board. The one thing they will not tolerate is criticism. And a single response posting by Roger could drive them all away (humor intended).

You are beyond overly critical of criticism, and this has been hashed for years. It is my opinion (and of others I'm sure) that anyone who can't handle criticism quite frankly needs to get out of the kitchen.

Criticism is central to science. If something cannot be criticized and debated, then progress of knowledge stagnates and may even become a rotting cesspool. Remember your history? The Dark Ages?

Here's a suggestion: set up is a blog. That way you can have all the say you want and you can control if comments are allowed or not. I think it would be the ideal format for the type of postings you seem to want to make.

I have a blog, although it's not used much. I found it pretty easy to install. It runs WordPress and is free.

http://en.wordpress.com/

And my blog in case you are interested: http://www.skywise711.com/blog/

(01-27-2014, 03:52 AM)EQF Wrote: But I do have to say that in a single day you could have learned enough Perl programming to modify the other board program any way you wished. It isn’t that difficult. However, I don’t know if it would have been easily possible to add the picture display feature to the board’s Perl language program. And that important addition is present with this program.

Adding pictures is probably the biggest reason I did not want to tackle modifying the WWWBoard code. I would not want to implement something like that while also trying to master PERL. It would not be a simple task to implement, and I suspect it would have taken much longer than a day. But another factor is that I did not want to take the time to learn PERL for the sole single purpose of modifying a decades old piece of software. I'm much more enjoying learning C++ because it has much more potential for me. (I'm progressing quite well, btw)

(01-27-2014, 03:52 AM)EQF Wrote: You might consider creating a help page...

The help pages that exist come with the board. I'm sure I could add or edit them. But then, I'm also happy to help people when they just ask a question.

Although you and others here may be having problems adapting to the new software, this style of board is really very common. Any new users that may come along will very likely find this forum and its features quite familiar.

I just looked up the market share of WordPress software. It is by far the most popular content management software with a 60.1% market share in that category, and 21.3% of all websites.

http://w3techs.com/technologies/overview...gement/all

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-17-2014, 09:14 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-17-2014, 11:27 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-22-2014, 06:56 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-23-2014, 11:55 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-24-2014, 09:54 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-25-2014, 02:29 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-26-2014, 01:55 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-26-2014, 09:40 PM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by EQF - 01-27-2014, 03:52 AM
RE: Forum Structure Comments - by Skywise - 01-27-2014, 07:43 AM