The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

M4.5 near southern San Andreas
Looks like there was a M4.5 quake on a non-vertical fault near Banning California. This will be of a lot of interest; will get attention. The San Andreas fault splits into several strands, and some of these are not vertical. In fact, the 1996 (?) North Palm Springs earthquake was on one such fault (Craig Nicholson paper). Craig (of UCSB) has been working with Andreas Plesch of Harvard to create accurate 3D representations of these faults using abundant precisely relocated seismicity. These representations are now in the Southern California Earthquake Center Community fault model (SCEC CFM).

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/e...al_summary

If Brian or Roger are available, it would be good to look for past M4+ quakes in this area and see whether they are followed by bigger ones...ever. I should probably take this quake and bring it into the SCEC CFM to see how close it is to one of the known faults (some of which are newly discovered or newly redefined at depth).

But I am in the middle of something else. I'll send this post as an email to Nicholson.

Chris

Messages In This Thread
M4.5 near southern San Andreas - by Island Chris - 01-06-2016, 03:13 PM