Aspect change in VLF traces
Shocked 
(03-30-2015, 10:56 AM)Island Chris Wrote: Yup, still M7.5. Hmm, Duffy, maybe post a concise explanation of how you tell magnitude (bigger signal must be it), and that general region might be path from some transmitter? Have "explanation" or something like that as subject line. Again, concise. I can't believe I'm saying that, because I am rarely concise, and I find that Roger's excessive conciseness sometimes lead to miscommunication.

Chris

Good point Chris!, how do I tell magnitude?, I think I was as concise as I could be in the image-less tutorials I posted some weeks ago. But to put things in perspective, I am trying to detect a hypothetical electromagnetic surge from the Earth, which precedes an Earthquake of a given magnitude. The magnitude estimate is purely determined from the signal strength and duration of the surge recorded, experience has shown, the further the distance from the antenna, the higher the magnitude has to be to receive anything. Also, in most cases, the EM surges are accompanied by major disruption in the VLF traces, which is attributed to a hypothetical gas. In a nut shell, I'm using a specially adapted antenna to catch a bolt of lightning from the Earth, which produces an electric cloud in the process. I understand that it Doesn't sound very believable yet, the Mexican quake could have been a fluke, as could be the resent warning of aspect changes, hope this was concise enough!.

Speaking of changes, I've learnt a lot since I joined Earthwaves, upgraded the systems with a $2500 makeover, have 3 independent antennas searching for EM signals, and now have 24/7 coverage. But after this morning, the most important thing I've learnt is "DON'T change something that works!!!".

The last couple of days, the new monitors have been picking up decreases in noise line reception and sporadic trace disruptions, prior to this, they were recording normal signal reception, hence the aspect change warning. The magnitude reference above was workable with the old system, after the 7.5 last night, I've realised the new monitors are processing the signals differently to what I'm use to. So today I took the day off work to run an experiment, the conclusion of which I couldn't fully understand (Brian may have an explanation), but It has put some things into perspective.

|Using 2 identical antenna's and feed lines, I connected them to 2 monitors, one was a $1000 Dell Latitude, and the other a $40 year 2000 model Toshiba off Ebay. A lightning storm was occurring in the Netherlands, which the Toshiba had no problem picking up, the Dell however continued with a normal trace. I inter changed feed lines and antenna's several times, and in every scenario only the Toshiba recorded the storm, until it was out of range. I'm no computer technician, but this suggests to me that something's been added in the new tec that wasn't in the old, some kind of RF or EMI inhibitor perhaps?.

As a quick analogy, I use a 28 year old Icom PCR 1000 communications receiver to listen to meteor showers, I use this model because some guy in a book said you can't get a better receiver from then to the present for catching the fainter meteor's. All receivers have AGC (automatic Gain Control) which can inhibit lower dB frequencies. Modern receivers all have AGC high or low mode but no off switch, the PCR 1000 is still the only one to date (by the book) with an AGC off switch!. There's a website called "Spam 3D" which shows real-time meteor data provided by amateur astronomers running Spectrum Lab, nearly all are using the PCR 1000. Is there something to be said for old tec??.

I hope this was a good enough analogy to be concise about why I've taken the decision to change everything back to pre-Earthwaves specifications.

Sorry Roger, back on 12 hour shifts again, I think new tec issues, combined with 3 identical antenna's in close proximity to each other,and my own self-assuredness, isn't going to get me anywhere.

For the moment, I think I'll try and predict an Earthquake or two and see were it leads, might even get the magnitude right Shy.

Duffy;

(Two finger typing plays havoc with your distal phalanges Big Grin)

Messages In This Thread
Aspect change in VLF traces - by Duffy - 03-28-2015, 02:45 PM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Roger Hunter - 03-28-2015, 09:32 PM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Duffy - 03-28-2015, 11:20 PM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Roger Hunter - 03-29-2015, 03:31 AM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Skywise - 03-29-2015, 05:10 AM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Duffy - 03-29-2015, 11:02 AM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Roger Hunter - 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Duffy - 03-29-2015, 04:56 PM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Skywise - 03-30-2015, 02:01 AM
M7.5 New Guinea - by Island Chris - 03-30-2015, 10:56 AM
RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - by Roger Hunter - 03-30-2015, 06:36 PM