Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum
Aspect change in VLF traces - Printable Version

+- Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Earthwaves (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Earthquake Predictions (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Aspect change in VLF traces (/showthread.php?tid=218)

Pages: 1 2 3

Aspect change in VLF traces - Duffy - 03-28-2015

I thought I would make a quick note about possible aspect changes to several signal traces, which include Iceland, Norway, Scottish Borders and France. Minor disruption to these signals started around 09:30 UT this morning (28th), and appear to be still on going, so I've not retrieved any images yet to avoid disturbing the monitors.

There are now 3 independent systems which have recorded the same disruption, so malfunction is out, there's no significant changes to Solar output, which still leaves local influences at the moment!.

Could be a false alarm, but I have a gut feeling about this one.

Will post again later if anything further transpires.

Duffy;

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Roger Hunter - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 02:45 PM)Duffy Wrote: I thought I would make a quick note about possible aspect changes to several signal traces, which include Iceland, Norway, Scottish Borders and France. Minor disruption to these signals started around 09:30 UT this morning (28th), and appear to be still on going, so I've not retrieved any images yet to avoid disturbing the monitors.

There are now 3 independent systems which have recorded the same disruption, so malfunction is out, there's no significant changes to Solar output, which still leaves local influences at the moment!.

Duffy;

6.0 quake in Chile today.

You may be on to something. Or not.

Roger

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Duffy - 03-28-2015

(03-28-2015, 02:45 PM)Duffy Wrote: I thought I would make a quick note about possible aspect changes to several signal traces, which include Iceland, Norway, Scottish Borders and France. Minor disruption to these signals started around 09:30 UT this morning (28th), and appear to be still on going, so I've not retrieved any images yet to avoid disturbing the monitors.

Duffy;

Sorry guy's, looks like I only picked up a measly 5.6 in Chile Cool, though it was posted as an M6 by USGS this afternoon, those darn down grades are killers.

Seriously though, I have recorded something Earthbourn, which is relatively weak compared to past records, it may not be a quake but at least I can confirm the new upgrades appear to be working in sync, looks like another one for the unexplained file.

Did anyone else see the M6 posting?, or was I having one of my off day's again!!!.

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Duffy - 03-28-2015

6.0 quake in Chile today.

Roger
[/quote]

Thanks for confirming that, Roger, at least I now know I didn't imagine it.

Thought you might like to see the image I recorded this morning with my latest creation, my wife calls it "The Bomb" because of how it's constructed, I know your not big on images, but you might find this one more legible.

[attachment=75]

Hopefully, if I've got the size right this time, your looking at a single trace which shows a 1/10th dB increase just before 06:15 UT. This has only been on line for 5 days and still being caliberated, but the disruption shown correspondes with 10 dB increases recorded on the other monitors. This is a magnified version of the usual plot screen, so the rest of the squiggly pattern is heat noise from the monitor itself.

This system is still in the raw, and I still have to figure out which way to turn the knob, so to speak, so If it did pick up a 6 in Chile (sorry! 5.6) it may have potential.

Duffy;

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Roger Hunter - 03-29-2015

(03-28-2015, 11:20 PM)Duffy Wrote: 6.0 quake in Chile today.

Roger

Thanks for confirming that, Roger, at least I now know I didn't imagine it.

Thought you might like to see the image I recorded this morning with my latest creation, my wife calls it "The Bomb" because of how it's constructed, I know your not big on images, but you might find this one more legible.

Hopefully, if I've got the size right this time, your looking at a single trace which shows a 1/10th dB increase just before 06:15 UT. This has only been on line for 5 days and still being caliberated, but the disruption shown correspondes with 10 dB increases recorded on the other monitors. This is a magnified version of the usual plot screen, so the rest of the squiggly pattern is heat noise from the monitor itself.

This system is still in the raw, and I still have to figure out which way to turn the knob, so to speak, so If it did pick up a 6 in Chile (sorry! 5.6) it may have potential.

Duffy;
[/quote]

Now a 6.0 at 16:37 UTC. I can't read the time on your graph.

Roger

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Skywise - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 03:31 AM)Roger Hunter Wrote: I can't read the time on your graph.

Click on it. Bigger image.

Brian

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Duffy - 03-29-2015

Now a 6.0 at 16:37 UTC. I can't read the time on your graph.

Roger
[/quote]

I wouldn't read to much into this one Roger, the quakes were to deep, and the signal to small to determine any correlation with any particular event or causality. Am I on to something!, well, it's been quiet for days, and Duffy pops up just before two possible 6's, who knows!!!.

Been meaning to ask, who determines the official magnitude of an Earthquake ?, always assumed it was USGS, but the magnitude differ's depending on which of several sites you refer to.

Duffy;

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Roger Hunter - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 11:02 AM)Duffy Wrote: I wouldn't read to much into this one Roger, the quakes were to deep, and the signal to small to determine any correlation with any particular event or causality. Am I on to something!, well, it's been quiet for days, and Duffy pops up just before two possible 6's, who knows!!!.

Once is coincidence. Do it regularly and it's something else.

Quote:Been meaning to ask, who determines the official magnitude of an Earthquake ?, always assumed it was USGS, but the magnitude differ's depending on which of several sites you refer to.

Every center has their own, depending on the data they have. I use the USGS because it has all the data.

Roger

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Duffy - 03-29-2015

(03-29-2015, 01:21 PM)Roger Hunter Wrote:
(03-29-2015, 11:02 AM)Duffy Wrote: I wouldn't read to much into this one Roger, the quakes were to deep, and the signal to small to determine any correlation with any particular event or causality. Am I on to something!, well, it's been quiet for days, and Duffy pops up just before two possible 6's, who knows!!!.

Once is coincidence. Do it regularly and it's something else.

Quote:Been meaning to ask, who determines the official magnitude of an Earthquake ?, always assumed it was USGS, but the magnitude differ's depending on which of several sites you refer to.

Every center has their own, depending on the data they have. I use the USGS because it has all the data.

Roger

Sorry Roger, went a bit mad scientist on you again,

Thanks for the info

Duffy;

RE: Aspect change in VLF traces - Skywise - 03-30-2015

7.5 ish in Papua New Guinea. Mag keeps changing as data comes in.

How long after a signal does a quake occur?

Brian