The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Arctic Sea Smoke and climate change
ID (island daughter) and I walked out to a view of the House on the rocks and Newport across Narragansett Bay (R.I.). There was arctic sea smoke. Temperature may have been +10 deg F.

The high temperature for downtown Chicago on Monday is forecast to be -8 F (which may break an all time record for coldest high temperature for Chicago).

Yesterday, I walked to the local hardware store to buy a snow shovel and walking back, some geezer was walking down my street the other way and made some crack about Al Gore.

Look, global temperatures are only up 0.8 deg C or about 1.5 deg F. A lot of that is in the Arctic and sub-arctic, and Antarctic Peninsula. I don't know which parts of the 48 contiguous states have been warmer than the long-term record over the last decade, which have been cooler, etc.

None of this changes the scientific fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas that increases the temperature of earth's lower atmosphere. The CO2 levels are simply a set of scientific measurements: are just fact. This is just not worth debating. What is worth debating is what the effects will be over the next few decades, for different regions, and also to global sea level.

The one thing that was misleading about Inconvenient Truth (Al Gore's film), is it was implied, although not quite stated (I think), that sea level would rise 20 feet (6 m) by 2100. That is not going to happen that fast. But I saw a scientific talk a month ago that talked of various peer-reviewed publications for 3 to 6 foot (1 to 2 m) sea level rises by 2100. Much higher than the (2007?) International report, which did not attempt to deal with glacier melt and ice sheet melt.

Chris

Messages In This Thread
Arctic Sea Smoke and climate change - by Island Chris - 01-03-2014, 05:37 PM