vlf Quake precursor, Whats the story so far
(03-03-2015, 11:30 AM)Island Chris Wrote: Not sure why Roger says "if not, then you need a different hobby". Anyhow, I like the humor on your posts. But, yes, try and have a life also. I'm not so good at that myself, but I took yesterday afternoon off and went cross-country skiing on a SW Rhode Island park, including across the edges of a 1 1/2 km-wide glacial lake (pothole pond).

Brian had some good posts a while ago questioning radon as the cause. I am also skeptical that you are recording quakes, but am not ruling it out. If I ruled it out, you could safely ignore me because I don't have much expertise in this area, and none on the measurements you are doing.

You clearly do have a good scientific mind, like Brian does. But, you have to always be a little skeptical yourself.

Keep at it!
Chris

I think its Roger's way of saying "he's thick skinned, and I'm a stuborn son of a ...Brit", sounds like perfect partners in crime to me!. I'm glad you appreciate the humour, I've been plugging my best stuff for weeks, I know US and UK humour has its differences (sometimes watch Letterman re-runs here) but I was getting a little worried, it usually comes out when I'm trying to break the ice a little, (your not still on the edge of that lake are you Wink) sorry, cheap shot, couldn't resist that one!.

I can appreciate your sceptisism; as an amature astronomer, if my milkman had come to me claiming he'd discovered life on mars, I wouldn't believe him either unless I'd seen it myself. So I'm here with hopes of giving Earthwaves a good run for its money, and if I fail, then I'll just sell all this gear and buy that big telescope I've been dreaming about.

Its the other kind of sceptisism I can't abide. I'm just a regular guy who may or may not have inadvertantly stumbled on a missing link from past research, and not some wire haired, joint smoker who keeps frogs in his pocket.

I noticed you posted about the mag 6.4 quake near Indonesia, Didn't understand it fully, so we're on equal terms as far as quakes and signals go, but got the impression its of some significance. By strange coincidence, the signal I recorded and linked to the same quake, has the longest duration and strangest pattern I've seen since I started this project. I sometimes use a site called quake monitor because they have a good waveform display that converts seismic waves to audio. I checked the past 20 days quakes against the 6.4 Indonesia quake, and couldn't find a comparison, its only a small sample but could be something in what you say, and what I have!.

I don't really have a scientific mind, and definitely nothing like Brian's, I think it just wakes up when its needed, (likes to have a lie in when Mother-in-law needs something Tongue) when I'm interested in something like Earthwaves, past studies seem to get to the front of the que in my brain, didn't realise how hard this earthquake business was, I'm sticking it out but It already feels like I've been here a year.

If I could just ask a quick question here, I mentioned the Flores sea quake the other day, and was wondering if a tectonic plate boundary 550km down has the same consistancy as it would be at 10km, or would the heat at that depth induce some kind of mineral recombination, ie brittle or elasticity ?.

I'm banking on a good year, with some good results, and hopefully you'll be a little less sceptical by the end of it, thanks for all the advice so far, one day I might take some so I'm not typing sorry as much as I do Earthquake!.

Have to go now, got to feed the frogs before bedtime Blush.

Duffy,

Messages In This Thread
RE: vlf Quake precursor, Whats the story so far - by Duffy - 03-04-2015, 12:25 AM
removing graphics - by Island Chris - 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM