vlf Quake precursor, Whats the story so far
(01-31-2015, 04:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: If I tell you the sky is green because of a,b and c, as scientists you have to disprove my theory to retain the fact that it really is blue (it is blue isn't it ?).

Yes and no. Smile If it weren't for other factors, it would actually be violet.

Here's a good video about it in simple terms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b1fqodmZJ0

(01-31-2015, 04:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: THe answer to your question Brian is yes and no...

Thank you very much for the time you took to write all that (which I subsequently edited out here). I now understand where you are coming from.

(01-31-2015, 04:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: I appologies if this has sounded like the non-scientist giving the scientist a science lesson but your all experts in your own particular field, so I can't assume you know everything

You're right. No one knows everything. Not even experts.

As for myself, I am just a lifelong science enthusiast. My only formal training is in electronics. But everything else is from a few decades of reading and more reading, and more reading....

(01-31-2015, 04:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: I'll do as you sugested, Brian, When a recognisable signal appears, I'll post in predictions, if I get a hit then were off the starting blocks, but if I win a few races, well, you'll been there with me, in real time, data selection shouldn't be a problem, assuming I've understud it correctly (still a bit of farmers son up there I'm afraid).

Something I must take time to emphasize, because it is vitally important to your work, is to make sure you post BEFORE any related quake occurs. There are no end of people posting after a quake claiming that they had predicted it but for one excuse or another say they didn't saying anything. We call that "postdiction", and it's a deal killer.

(01-31-2015, 04:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: or its like you've been looking for Amelia Earharts plane for the last 20 years, the garbage man turns up, gives you a map, and says I've worked on this a few weeks and x marks the spot.

You being an amateur astronomer already know that many discoveries, even significant ones, are often made by amateurs. Many comets, for example. Or another instance, McNeil's Nebula. That was missed by decades of amateur and professional imagers until McNeil noticed it. Well, he noticed it, and now it's named for him.

(01-31-2015, 04:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: I mean no disrespect or offence to anyone

None taken by me. Again, I appreciate you taking the time in all that you've written. It is very helpful for us in understanding you. Electronic words on a screen is a very difficult medium for communication because it can be so easily misunderstood or misread. I've had that problem myself numerous times. In exchange, if you have any questions about us, feel free to ask. Of course, it's up to each of us to decide how much of a response to give, but I think it would be good to help you understand us.

As you said, maybe we can all meet in the middle. I think that would be a good thing, regardless of the success of your ideas.

(01-31-2015, 04:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: Sir Issac Newton not only discovered gravity, he was also credited with inventing the "Cat Flap" (Wickapedia).

Never heard that one before. But a quick check online puts this in the disputed and probably false category. Makes a good story, though!

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read...e-cat-door

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
RE: vlf Quake precursor, Whats the story so far - by Skywise - 01-31-2015, 10:11 PM
removing graphics - by Island Chris - 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM