vlf Quake precursor, Whats the story so far
(01-25-2015, 11:05 PM)Duffy Wrote: Meaning no disrespect it would'nt be my first choice to share data at this stage as I've tried that once and was disillusioned by the outcome.

I quote understand. Once bitten, twice shy. Been there. Done that. Too many times. Sad

(01-25-2015, 11:05 PM)Duffy Wrote: A few details are as follows: I run 2 independent monitors on 16v batteries for 11 hours a day,after this time the batteries are depleated, these are connected via feed lines to 2 loop antenna's 1.5m in diameter, VLF signals are received mostly from naval bases around the world and relayed to the monitors, these are reconfigured into a signal strength/decibel level graph displays using spectrum lab software, any unusual drops or peaks in the signals displayed means the upper atmosphere has been temporarily ionised due to solar activity, Hence you have recorded a SID event.

Being on battery is a good thing as it isolated the system from possible noise from the mains.

I looked up SID's last night, and upon having "VLF" reittereated, I realized I've dabbled with this a bit myself. I've used Spectrum Lab. Yet another big hobby of mine is music. I play guitar and keyboards and have invested a bit in good audio equipment. I have a professional quality DAC for audio I/O on my computer, capable of 100Khz sampling rates. I have stuck a home brew antenna into the thing and have used it to monitor VLF signals up to 50Khz. Basically, a poor man's SDR (Software Defined Radio).

In fact, here's an old picture of some signals and their ID. It wasn't done in Spectrum Lab, but in Adobe Audition which is what I use for audio processing.

[Image: VLF-ELF-HF.jpg]

I didn't mess with the VLF stuff for very long. Sort of just a passing curiosity. But it was interesting to see what I could pick up with equipment that wasn't even designed for the job.

(01-25-2015, 11:05 PM)Duffy Wrote: Do you think real time posting is feasible or perhaps needs further consideration, I believe past data would be better understood if future data was verified by more than just myself.

I'm not sure how "real time" one could get, unless you post a notice as soon as you see it. AND YOU ARE VERY WELCOME TO DO SO. But it may not be necessary. The reason I had ask if the data could be shared is I and others (Roger Hunter most likely) could examine the data for correlations to known earthquake events. Roger is better at the statistical analysis stuff than I, but I've helped in writing software and verifying some of his work. I think I'm a little more experienced of a programmer than he his.

However, I'd like to express some concerns or points regarding precursors in general. It's often easy to notice that just before a quake, "X" happened. But how many times has "X" happened and there was no quake? And how many quakes had no "X" at all? This is where the hard work comes in and why statistical analysis is so important. It allows us to see if there is a possible pattern, or if it's just random chance. See, things DO happen by chance some of the time.

But don't let that skepticism discourage you. An idea can't be tested unless one takes the time to look into it. And sometimes it takes a long time - lots of data - to tease out the results. And finding out something isn't true is just as important (sometimes more so) as finding out it is.

Now you've got me wondering if I should set up an antenna again and fire up Spectrum Lab to see what I pick up.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
RE: vlf Quake precursor, Whats the story so far - by Skywise - 01-26-2015, 12:05 AM
removing graphics - by Island Chris - 03-04-2015, 12:19 PM