The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Old forum archive issue
I have been contacted by my web host complaining about the number of files in one directory. Specifically, it's all the messages from the old forum software. The code stored each message as it's own HTML file and put them all in one directory, and there's over 38,000 messages!!!

Anyway, they are threatening to delete the files in 48 hours if I don't fix the problem, saying it's degrading the performance of their servers to other websites.

I have responded, explaining the nature of the files, their purpose, that the forum has migrated to new software and therefore there won't be any additional files, that there should be little activity on those files, and that breaking them up into multiple directories will cause problems that will take more than 48 hours to resolve. I have asked for an exception or 'stay of execution'.

I have promised to resolve the issue regardless of their response, but if they are not understanding, the old forum may disappear for a while.

Nothing will be lost as I have multiple backup copies of the old forum.

But I'm hoping they let the files stay for now as I would just have to upload them all again once I reorganize things. Otherwise it's a simple matter to just move the files on the server once I have a solution.

Fixing the problem is not as simple as it might seem at first. The old software did things in a very simple brute force way. Breaking up the files into multiple smaller directories will require me to recreate new index pages for each archive. Doing so will require me to write software to parse the html of every message in order to recreate the structure of the file threads. And, it will break any links within messages that refer to other messages that lie in other directories, so those would have to be fixed as well.

In hindsight, this just goes to show that my having decided to migrate to this new software was a good move. The old software was just never meant to handle that level of activity.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
Old forum archive issue - by Skywise - 11-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Old Forum offline - by Skywise - 11-15-2014, 11:22 PM
Found the problem - by Skywise - 11-16-2014, 12:26 AM
RE: Old forum archive issue - by Island Chris - 11-16-2014, 12:14 PM
RE: Old forum archive issue - by Skywise - 11-17-2014, 12:52 AM