Ground water observation in Southern California
Hi Tony,

this is an interesting and useful observation. Brian, if you continue to be interested, you might compare the location to the USGS or SCEC earthquake site to see if there is any microseismicity. I'll have to ask if I can post it, but someone sent me a direct email saying her dogs had very strange behavior, about 2 days ago, but that was in Colorado.

I had a couple of classes in the early 1990s from structural geologist Rick Sibson, at UCSB. He taught, and published papers, on the relation of fluids to earthquakes. In particular, he mentioned vast amounts of water being released after the 1950s Kern County major quake, as well as others. A long time ago I went on a field trip along the Wellington fault, New Zealand, and one of stops was some field where there were all kinds of mud piles with springs right along the fault. On the other hand, I'm not as aware of the kind of behavior you mention being precursory to a quake, although I would not rule it out.

Yes, we badly need more "new" people to post here (yes, you are a New old person).

Chris

Messages In This Thread
RE: Ground water observation in Southern California - by Island Chris - 10-30-2014, 12:45 PM