The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

Ground water observation in Southern California
Hello All,

I was a member of the board for years; now back after a lengthy hiatus. I hope all is well for all.

I am no scientist, let alone a geoscientist. I am posting to share an observation that may be of interest.

I regularly hike a trail in Towsley Canyon which is in the southern portion of the Santa Clarita Valley outside of Los Angeles, California. It is obviously a very seismic region given the visible features, etc.

The area has been bone dry - except for within the last week and half. The path I hike crosses over a "dry" stream bed. There hasn't been any water in it for year now.

However, the other day, I was back on the trail after taking a month off from hiking it. As I proceeded on the loop trail, going southbound at the northwesterly portion through a slot canyon, there was significant ground water that appears to have suddenly emanated from . . . somewhere. Specifically, there was a new pool of water that I estimate is 16 square yards in size, as well as significant water that suddenly appeared in the creek bed. The water, at some locations, was mixed with light oil.

Around the base of the hill, there are oil bubblers and a sulphur vent near the top of the hill. On the easterly side of the hill, the oil flow has picked up considerably and actually flooded the stream bed.

I looked into alluvial/groundwater activity as a possible quake precursor. (http://www.hydrol-earth-syst-sci.net/17/...3-2013.pdf) Anyway, again, this is just an observation - not a prediction, and I don't want to get into one of those infamous EQ board debates. I pass this along for anyone who is interested in the observation.

Towsley Canyon has a ranger station. The number is (661) 255-2937 in the event you want to reach out and ask questions.

Best -

Tony

Messages In This Thread
Ground water observation in Southern California - by zinnanti - 10-29-2014, 02:41 PM