Joining the seismic dots 16 / 1 / 2017
Roger;

Yes you are wrong, my idea is based on trying to find time of event in the "future".  This dawn/ dusk business can't have anything to do with near misses, because the quakes have not happened yet !

Two events in Turkey today ... 5.2 at 03:51:40 ut ... Dusk on 177' 12' W - 22' 38' S (4th Jan) at 03:52 ut
                                            5.4 at 10:58:02 ut ... Sunrise on 77' 21' W - 20' 59' S (15th Jan) at 10:58 ut

These correlations seem to be occurring too frequently to be random, and these two events are a bit close for comfort to a hypothetical quake ... don't you think !

Enjoy entertaining your guests

Duffy

(02-06-2017, 01:24 PM)Duffy Wrote: Roger;

Yes you are wrong, my idea is based on trying to find time of event in the "future".  This dawn/ dusk business can't have anything to do with near misses, because the quakes have not happened yet !

Two events in Turkey today ... 5.2 at 03:51:40 ut ... Dusk on 177' 12' W - 22' 38' S (4th Jan) at 03:52 ut
                                            5.4 at 10:58:02 ut ... Sunrise on 77' 21' W - 20' 59' S (15th Jan) at 10:58 ut

These correlations seem to be occurring too frequently to be random, and these two events are a bit close for comfort to a hypothetical quake ... don't you think !

Enjoy entertaining your guests

Duffy
Duffy;

Now I'm confused.

Are you looking for quakes that happen when it's sunrise/sunset somewhere else? But that's what I was trying to do with the 90 degree circles.

I still don't understand that. If the sun was on the equator it should illuminate half the earth; pole to pole and 180 degrees in longitude.

Roger

Roger

Nothing to be confused about here, I gave account of an idea relating to trigger points, as per your enquiry.  You thought it was some kind of formula to explain near misses, and I corrected you on that point.  One has nothing to do with the other, you are currently trying to investigate why these quakes occur when the terminator zones come into contact with my crosses.  Whilst you are doing that, I am trying to investigate other avenues related to the terminator with respect to a trigger.

Two events occurred yesterday; M 5.6 Uttaranchal, India 17:03:06 ut  Sunset on 25' 36' E - 22' 19' S (7th Jan) at 17:03 ut
                                              M 5.3 Pacific Antarctic    18:23:23 ut  Dusk on 25' 36' E - 22' 19' S (7th Jan) at 18:23 ut
                                                                                                    Dawn on 163' 59' E - 18' 06' N (12th Jan) at 18:23 ut

These times are are exactly to the minute on these bearings, the sunset cross for India was hit again 1 hour 20 minutes later by Dusk, relating to the Pacific Antarctic event. It wasn't 1 hour 16 minutes, or 26 minutes past, they both occurred at the exact lateral width of the terminator zone at this point.  Or to look at it from another perspective, If I had selected locations 2 or 3 degrees East or West of these crosses current positions, there would be no contacts !.   From my point of view as a non Scientist, this appears to be significant, because it is happening everyday ... from your point of view it is chance !.   Its not practical to keep updating this, so I will make report after the next new moon.

You are correct, when the sun is on the equator, illumination is pole to pole and 180 degrees in longitude.  But this only occurs on two days of the year.  When the sun reaches the equator on 20th March 10:28 ut during its Northward journey, it is spring equinox.  When it again reaches the the equator on its Southward journey on 22nd September at 20:00 ut, it is the autumn equinox.  The Earth is tilted to the celestial plane by 23.5 degrees, and that's why during the rest of the year, the angle of the terminator changes daily.  I can't guarantee these facts are correct, because  I haven't been following astronomy for sometime ... but I think this is how it works.

All that matters here is determining significance of signal, any idea's I have in the future, I shall keep to myself because they only seem to cause confusion.

Duffy

(02-07-2017, 12:07 PM)Duffy Wrote: Duffy;

Quote:Nothing to be confused about here, I gave account of an idea relating to trigger points, as per your enquiry.  You thought it was some kind of formula to explain near misses, and I corrected you on that point.

No, I was stating that you were invoking other elements like twilight to explain quakes that didn't quite fit the center line hypothesis.

Quote:One has nothing to do with the other, you are currently trying to investigate why these quakes occur when the terminator zones come into contact with my crosses.  Whilst you are doing that, I am trying to investigate other avenues related to the terminator with respect to a trigger.

Exactly and the program works. Now I just need a big enough sample of random date/times to establish the probability of a hit.

Quote:Two events occurred yesterday; M 5.6 Uttaranchal, India 17:03:06 ut  Sunset on 25' 36' E - 22' 19' S (7th Jan) at 17:03 ut
                                              M 5.3 Pacific Antarctic    18:23:23 ut  Dusk on 25' 36' E - 22' 19' S (7th Jan) at 18:23 ut

These times are are exactly to the minute on these bearings, the sunset cross for India was hit again 1 hour 20 minutes later by Dusk, relating to the Pacific Antarctic event. It wasn't 1 hour 16 minutes, or 26 minutes past, they both occurred at the exact lateral width of the terminator zone at this point.  Or to look at it from another perspective, If I had selected locations 2 or 3 degrees East or West of these crosses current positions, there would be no contacts !.   From my point of view as a non Scientist, this appears to be significant, because it is happening everyday ... from your point of view it is chance !.   Its not practical to keep updating this, so I will make report after the next new moon.

What you need to do is calculate this for ALL quakes. The hit/miss ratio is important.

Quote:You are correct, when the sun is on the equator, illumination is pole to pole and 180 degrees in longitude.  But this only occurs on two days of the year.  When the sun reaches the equator on 20th March 10:28 ut during its Northward journey, it is spring equinox.  When it again reaches the the equator on its Southward journey on 22nd September at 20:00 ut, it is the autumn equinox.  The Earth is tilted to the celestial plane by 23.5 degrees, and that's why during the rest of the year, the angle of the terminator changes daily.  I can't guarantee these facts are correct, because  I haven't been following astronomy for sometime ... but I think this is how it works.

Yes, that's correct and the sunrise line is 90 degrees from the subsolar point.

Quote:All that matters here is determining significance of signal, any idea's I have in the future, I shall keep to myself because they only seem to cause confusion.

Wrong. Discussing these things is how understanding grows. Keep it up.

Roger

(02-07-2017, 02:31 PM)Roger Hunter Wrote:
(02-07-2017, 12:07 PM)Duffy Wrote: Duffy;

Quote:Nothing to be confused about here, I gave account of an idea relating to trigger points, as per your enquiry.  You thought it was some kind of formula to explain near misses, and I corrected you on that point.

No, I was stating that you were invoking other elements like twilight to explain quakes that didn't quite fit the center line hypothesis.

Quote:One has nothing to do with the other, you are currently trying to investigate why these quakes occur when the terminator zones come into contact with my crosses.  Whilst you are doing that, I am trying to investigate other avenues related to the terminator with respect to a trigger.

Exactly and the program works. Now I just need a big enough sample of random date/times to establish the probability of a hit.

Quote:Two events occurred yesterday; M 5.6 Uttaranchal, India 17:03:06 ut  Sunset on 25' 36' E - 22' 19' S (7th Jan) at 17:03 ut

What you need to do is calculate this for ALL quakes. The hit/miss ratio is important.

Quote:You are correct, when the sun is on the equator, illumination is pole to pole and 180 degrees in longitude.  But this only occurs on two days of the year.  When the sun reaches the equator on 20th March 10:28 ut during its Northward journey, it is spring equinox.  When it again reaches the the equator on its Southward journey on 22nd September at 20:00 ut, it is the autumn equinox.  The Earth is tilted to the celestial plane by 23.5 degrees, and that's why during the rest of the year, the angle of the terminator changes daily.  I can't guarantee these facts are correct, because  I haven't been following astronomy for sometime ... but I think this is how it works.

Yes, that's correct and the sunrise line is 90 degrees from the subsolar point.

Quote:All that matters here is determining significance of signal, any idea's I have in the future, I shall keep to myself because they only seem to cause confusion.

Wrong. Discussing these things is how understanding grows. Keep it up.

Roger

Duffy;

I revised the program which uses mag 6+ quakes as random times and looks for mag 5+ quakes within 30 days.

This time I restricted a hit to +/- 0.25 degree and found that 59 of the 153 test cases had a hit. That's a little over 25% I also accepted only one hit per date because multiple hits confuse the math (and me).

Now the wider the hit band the more hits you get which is why I objected to your including twilight hits.

The point here is that the things you are talking about do happen by chance so if you think it's significant you have to show it's happening a LOT more than chance.

ADDENDUM:

Another version of the program started with Jan 1, 2016 and ran thru Jan 20, 2017 by using the date as a signal time and checking the quakes for 30 days looking for hits. 1.5 days is added and the cycle starts again.

There were 257 days selected this way and 116 hits wwere found. That's 41%

Roger

Roger; 

I respect any objection you have, but I am afraid it is my turn to be a little confused here, because I am trying to understand your definition of twilight. I've been through my recent post and can find no mention of twilight anywhere.  The trigger idea I posted relates to the quake epicentre and its opposite time longitude. Nowhere does it relate to the crosses on my map, apart from the Crete event at the beginning, which gave me the idea in the first place.    I have been using sunrise / sunset and the morning/ night transition periods, which you refer to as dawn /dusk in your country.  I used a 40 arc minute margin during the test because the sunrise / sunset bands range from 2 to 3 minutes depending on latitude (which I mentioned at the start of the test), I allowed a +/- 1 degree margin for sun and moon position relative to the longitude selected (which I mentioned at the start of the test), and the data is in analogue time which is less reliable than digital, so an acceptable allowance of a 30 second discrepancy is included.   

This will not happen more than chance allows because it is periodic, it is already loosing influence because the last 5 quakes have had no contact with the crosses.  I would be interested to know what period you used for your test cases, because my period was 11 days before new moon ... 153 quakes in 11 days is a lot of 5's per day !

I would appreciate it if you could still provide me with your chosen selection, so I am able to run the test again. I will carry it out under the same conditions stated above, and as you now appear to have means of verifying what I post, you can monitor any discrepancies.

I know you just do this for mental exercise, but I really appreciate your effort. It works for me too, because I just want to find the right answer ... stops me running down loony highway to the press, every time one of my "chance" predictions are correct !

Duffy

(02-07-2017, 09:40 PM)Duffy Wrote: Roger; 

Quote:I respect any objection you have, but I am afraid it is my turn to be a little confused here, because I am trying to understand your definition of twilight. I've been through my recent post and can find no mention of twilight anywhere.  The trigger idea I posted relates to the quake epicentre and its opposite time longitude. Nowhere does it relate to the crosses on my map, apart from the Crete event at the beginning, which gave me the idea in the first place.    I have been using sunrise / sunset and the morning/ night transition periods, which you refer to as dawn /dusk in your country.  I used a 40 arc minute margin during the test because the sunrise / sunset bands range from 2 to 3 minutes depending on latitude (which I mentioned at the start of the test), I allowed a +/- 1 degree margin for sun and moon position relative to the longitude selected (which I mentioned at the start of the test), and the data is in analogue time which is less reliable than digital, so an acceptable allowance of a 30 second discrepancy is included.  

It was in reference to the dawn/dusk interval. You were calling hits on all sorts of things or so it seemed.

Quote:This will not happen more than chance allows because it is periodic, it is already loosing influence because the last 5 quakes have had no contact with the crosses.  I would be interested to know what period you used for your test cases, because my period was 11 days before new moon ... 153 quakes in 11 days is a lot of 5's per day !

What I'm doing is described in each case. Currently I'm allowing only the first hit in each interval so multiple quakes are not a problem.

Quote:I would appreciate it if you could still provide me with your chosen selection, so I am able to run the test again. I will carry it out under the same conditions stated above, and as you now appear to have means of verifying what I post, you can monitor any discrepancies.

I can compute sun and moon locations and the distance from both to the quakes.

Quote:I know you just do this for mental exercise, but I really appreciate your effort. It works for me too, because I just want to find the right answer ... stops me running down loony highway to the press, every time one of my "chance" predictions are correct !

I do it for mental exercise but also it's my hobby, a continuation of something I did in the USGS. You predict, I evaluate.

Roger

(01-28-2017, 01:20 AM)Duffy Wrote: Roger;

Apologies for the miss-understanding, sometimes frustrated people speak out of turn without thinking, and get the wrong end of the stick ... or so I am told !.  Hope I can make it up by sharing something I discovered today, quite by chance (no pun intended), but I have to type the following formula first, before I can describe it.

27th Jan Satellite resumed operation today at ............................................................................................... 07:00 ut
             Centre of moon on 68' 53' E + 7.25 degrees West = 61' 38' E 
             Sunset at bearing 175' 50' E - 21' 07' S (15th Jan) occurred at .......................................................... 07:00 ut

28th Jan New Moon ..................................................................................................................................... 01:19:05 ut
             Centre of sun on 163' 27' E - 18' 11' S (12th Jan)                                                                                                                            Centre of moon on 163' 27' E - 15' 56' S  (12th Jan) + 7.25 degrees East = 170' 42' E - 15' 56' S ***
             Centre of moon on 163' 27' E + 7.25 degrees West = 156' 12' E (12th Jan)
             Transition of night to day at bearing 60' 30' E - 25' 0' N Iran/Pakistan border and Owen Fracture Zone  01:19:05 ut

Centre of sun on 60' 30' E ............................................................................................................... 08:11 ut
             Transition of day to night at bearing 163' 59' E - 18' 06' N (12th Jan) occurs at .................................. 08:11 ut
             Sunset at bearing 149' 38' E - 5' 22' N (6th Jan) occurs at ................................................................. 08:11 ut

Centre of sun on 57' 15' E ... opposite longitude = 122' 45' W ........................................................... 08:24 ut
             Centre of moon on 60' 49' E
             Transition of day to night at bearing 175' 50' E - 21' 07' S (15th Jan) occurs at .................................... 08:24 ut
             Sunset at bearing 156' 12' E - 22' 29' S (6th Jan) occurs at ................................................................. 08:24 ut

Centre of sun on 93' 29' W + 7.5 degrees West = 100' 59' W (18th Jan) ............................................. 18:27 ut
             Centre of moon on 84' 50' W + 7.25 degrees East = 77' 35' W (15th Jan .............................................18:27 ut
             Sunset at bearing 170' 42' E - 15' 56' S ** (refer to New Moon time) occurs at .....................................18:27 ut

This formula is a simple attempt to see if the data in the table is relevant to determining time of event. The combinations focus on a region of Southern Iran, California and Central America ... it's mostly here for the record, and not as an official prediction.

Roger; I believe I may have found something of interest, that gives reason to suggest these co-ordinates are related to the current period .. and not constant. When I was trying to determine why the satellite feed resumed, at the same time as sunset on 175' East. I noticed it's sunset was constant on 07:01 ut between 4th and 26th Jan. It changed to 07:00 ut today, approx 24 hours before new moon. The rest of it's zones continued to change by one or two minutes each day during these dates.  Then I checked 163' East because it figures prominently with New Moon, and found it's sunrise time had remained constant at 19:39 ut from 8th Jan, and changes to 19:38 ut at 00:00 ut 28th, again its other zones changed day by day.  156' East has a constant, which is puzzling because it is sunset at 07:57 ut between 28th May and 18th June, but this one caught my eye because the sun is on 60' 45' E at 07:57 ut during this period. The last one I checked was 103' East because it has the furthest northern latitude (18' 34' N) of all the other co-ordinates.  And was surprised to find it's constant related to the night to day terminator at 22:08 ut, between 3rd and 18th June. The constants are related to the sun's lateral position, relative to Earth, at a specific time of year.  The sun has recently been at it's furthest Southerly latitude, and remained there for several days. It is now moving North and changing the constants as it does so. It means that any influence the co-ordinates had in relation to the quakes, is being removed because the constants are changing. The last two times I did this, any correlation became minimal after new moon ... that's why this experiment is being terminated after 01:19:05 ut 28th Jan .  I have not had sufficient time to investigate the other bearings, but I would imagine similar constants will be found. A preliminary run through the year, at bearing 175' East, only revealed the constant described, therefore it would suggest any other correlations would be random!  I have a theory why these co-ordinates seem to have some significance, but I'll wait for your input on this description first ... you may have noticed, I am quite adept at getting wrong ends of stick's !

I calculated more data from source today, but it is to late to include in this experiment. I'm making report of it here in case it figures in the current cycle. For some reason, it is also a partial repeat; 27th Jan 19:39 ut ... CS 109' 02' W - 18' 15' S ........ CM 112' 0' W - 16' 28' S.   What stands out here is 112' W has repeated again from 6th Jan data line, and 19:39 ut is the same as the sunrise constant at 163' 59' E - 18' 06' N ... 

Recent Events ...

26th Jan M 5.1 Near East Coast Honshu, Japan ... 142' 24' E - 40' 12' N .......................................................... 08:06:29 ut
                 Sunset at bearing 149' 38' E - 5' 22' N (6th Jan) occurred at ......................................................... 08:07 ut

27th Jan M 5.1 Antofagasta, Chile ... 68' 32' W - 22' 30' S ............................................................................... 13:23:30 ut
                 Sunrise at bearing 117' 12' W - 22' 38' S (4th Jan) occurred at ...................................................... 13:24 ut

27th Jan M 5.3 Ethiopia ... 38' 48' E - 7' 37' N ................................................................................................. 16:29:22 ut
                 Transition of day to night at bearing 54' 29' E - 22' 27' S (6th Jan) occurred at ................................ 16:30 ut

27th Jan M 5.6 Eastern Sichuan, China ... 104' 54' E - 28' 09' N ...... CM 101' 46' W (18th Jan) ........................... 18:46:37 ut

Duffy (01:19 ut !)

The moon was opposite 170' E at 22:04 ut, formulate chance crosses on a map, and you end up 5 minutes away from Pasni, Pakistan ... what a waste of my time !

Duffy

(02-08-2017, 12:37 AM)Duffy Wrote:

Apologies for the miss-understanding, sometimes frustrated people speak out of turn without thinking, and get the wrong end of the stick ... or so I am told !.  Hope I can make it up by sharing something I discovered today, quite by chance (no pun intended), but I have to type the following formula first, before I can describe it.

27th Jan Satellite resumed operation today at ............................................................................................... 07:00 ut
             Sunset at bearing 175' 50' E - 21' 07' S (15th Jan) occurred at .......................................................... 07:00 ut

28th Jan New Moon ..................................................................................................................................... 01:19:05 ut
             Centre of sun on 163' 27' E - 18' 11' S (12th Jan)                                                                                                                            Centre of moon on 163' 27' E - 15' 56' S  (12th Jan) + 7.25 degrees East = 170' 42' E - 15' 56' S ***
             Transition of night to day at bearing 60' 30' E - 25' 0' N Iran/Pakistan border and Owen Fracture Zone  01:19:05 ut

Centre of sun on 60' 30' E ............................................................................................................... 08:11 ut
             Transition of day to night at bearing 163' 59' E - 18' 06' N (12th Jan) occurs at .................................. 08:11 ut
             Sunset at bearing 149' 38' E - 5' 22' N (6th Jan) occurs at ................................................................. 08:11 ut

Centre of sun on 57' 15' E ... opposite longitude = 122' 45' W ........................................................... 08:24 ut
             Transition of day to night at bearing 175' 50' E - 21' 07' S (15th Jan) occurs at .................................... 08:24 ut
             Sunset at bearing 156' 12' E - 22' 29' S (6th Jan) occurs at ................................................................. 08:24 ut

Centre of sun on 93' 29' W + 7.5 degrees West = 100' 59' W (18th Jan) ............................................. 18:27 ut
             Centre of moon on 84' 50' W + 7.25 degrees East = 77' 35' W (15th Jan .............................................18:27 ut
             Sunset at bearing 170' 42' E - 15' 56' S ** (refer to New Moon time) occurs at .....................................18:27 ut

This formula is a simple attempt to see if the data in the table is relevant to determining time of event. The combinations focus on a region of Southern Iran, California and Central America ... it's mostly here for the record, and not as an official prediction.

Roger; I believe I may have found something of interest, that gives reason to suggest these co-ordinates are related to the current period .. and not constant. When I was trying to determine why the satellite feed resumed, at the same time as sunset on 175' East. I noticed it's sunset was constant on 07:01 ut between 4th and 26th Jan. It changed to 07:00 ut today, approx 24 hours before new moon. The rest of it's zones continued to change by one or two minutes each day during these dates.  Then I checked 163' East because it figures prominently with New Moon, and found it's sunrise time had remained constant at 19:39 ut from 8th Jan, and changes to 19:38 ut at 00:00 ut 28th, again its other zones changed day by day.  156' East has a constant, which is puzzling because it is sunset at 07:57 ut between 28th May and 18th June, but this one caught my eye because the sun is on 60' 45' E at 07:57 ut during this period. The last one I checked was 103' East because it has the furthest northern latitude (18' 34' N) of all the other co-ordinates.  And was surprised to find it's constant related to the night to day terminator at 22:08 ut, between 3rd and 18th June. The constants are related to the sun's lateral position, relative to Earth, at a specific time of year.  The sun has recently been at it's furthest Southerly latitude, and remained there for several days. It is now moving North and changing the constants as it does so. It means that any influence the co-ordinates had in relation to the quakes, is being removed because the constants are changing. The last two times I did this, any correlation became minimal after new moon ... that's why this experiment is being terminated after 01:19:05 ut 28th Jan .  I have not had sufficient time to investigate the other bearings, but I would imagine similar constants will be found. A preliminary run through the year, at bearing 175' East, only revealed the constant described, therefore it would suggest any other correlations would be random!  I have a theory why these co-ordinates seem to have some significance, but I'll wait for your input on this description first ... you may have noticed, I am quite adept at getting wrong ends of stick's !

I calculated more data from source today, but it is to late to include in this experiment. I'm making report of it here in case it figures in the current cycle. For some reason, it is also a partial repeat; 27th Jan 19:39 ut ... CS 109' 02' W - 18' 15' S ........ CM 112' 0' W - 16' 28' S.   What stands out here is 112' W has repeated again from 6th Jan data line, and 19:39 ut is the same as the sunrise constant at 163' 59' E - 18' 06' N ... 

Recent Events ...

26th Jan M 5.1 Near East Coast Honshu, Japan ... 142' 24' E - 40' 12' N .......................................................... 08:06:29 ut
                 Sunset at bearing 149' 38' E - 5' 22' N (6th Jan) occurred at ......................................................... 08:07 ut

27th Jan M 5.1 Antofagasta, Chile ... 68' 32' W - 22' 30' S ............................................................................... 13:23:30 ut
                 Sunrise at bearing 117' 12' W - 22' 38' S (4th Jan) occurred at ...................................................... 13:24 ut

27th Jan M 5.3 Ethiopia ... 38' 48' E - 7' 37' N ................................................................................................. 16:29:22 ut
                 Transition of day to night at bearing 54' 29' E - 22' 27' S (6th Jan) occurred at ................................ 16:30 ut

27th Jan M 5.6 Eastern Sichuan, China ... 104' 54' E - 28' 09' N ...... CM 101' 46' W (18th Jan) ........................... 18:46:37 ut

The moon was opposite 170' E at 22:04 ut, formulate chance crosses on a map, and you end up 5 minutes away from Pasni, Pakistan ... what a waste of my time !

Duffy

Duffy;

You have me at a complete loss.

I have no idea what you're doing with all these times and locations.

I understand what I'm doing but it doesn't seem to relate to what you are doing.

Roger

(02-08-2017, 12:48 AM)Roger Hunter Wrote:
(02-08-2017, 12:37 AM)Duffy Wrote:

Recent Events ...

Duffy

Duffy;

You have me at a complete loss.

I have no idea what you're doing with all these times and locations.

I understand what I'm doing but it doesn't seem to relate to what you are doing.

Roger

Duffy;

I'm getting totally lost is all these posts.

I've modified the program to examine two locations versus all mag 5+ quakes within two dates. I'll need to change it to look at a series of such dates.

So what I need from you is a list of dates. The program will find sun and moon locations and compare the quakes to those locations, looking for quakes 90 degrees away.

Roger