Lets try for the small fry
(12-07-2015, 03:33 PM)Duffy Wrote: I mean no disrespect to the guy, but it stands to reason, why would someone who after a 40 year career and is now looking at Nebulas 2 billion light years away, want to go back to looking at the moon through a telescope!.

There are many a professional astronomer who haven't looked through a telescope since school!!! Or know their constellations. Heck, I don't even know them all. That's the downside of specialization - the mind focuses so narrowly on a specific subset of a subject that they forget the fundamentals of any of the rest of it.

As for my astronomy knowledge, I am not a master of anything but know a little about most all of it.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
(12-11-2015, 12:17 AM)Roger Hunter Wrote: I have a program which computes it for any input location, but it's written in Qbasic.

Qbasic. There's a blast from the past. Used that back in the 90's before switching to XBasic for the ability to make windows programs. I was considering C/C++ at that time but XBasic seemed easier. And there wasn't as much online help at that time for C for self learning.

I remember writing an inventory tracking program in QB. Also, I was working on my own clone of that windows game 'minesweeper'. I've wondered on occasion if I still have the source code laying around somewhere on my terabytes of drives.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
(12-12-2015, 02:37 AM)Skywise Wrote:
(12-11-2015, 12:17 AM)Roger Hunter Wrote: I have a program which computes it for any input location, but it's written in Qbasic.

Qbasic. There's a blast from the past. Used that back in the 90's before switching to XBasic for the ability to make windows programs. I was considering C/C++ at that time but XBasic seemed easier. And there wasn't as much online help at that time for C for self learning.

I remember writing an inventory tracking program in QB. Also, I was working on my own clone of that windows game 'minesweeper'. I've wondered on occasion if I still have the source code laying around somewhere on my terabytes of drives.

Brian

Hi Brian;

Yes it's very old. I never used it but as it turned out, I have it and it's very similar to TB.

I did use zbasic for awhile; much faster than dos TB.

Roger

Hey Brian,

Always glad to hear from you ... You always seem to put things into perspective for me, my reference to the gentleman at Jodrell Bank wasn't an attempt to de meaner him, or anyone else for that matter, in my usual "odd English manner" I was trying to convey a point that we sometimes move forward so much that we forget to review the little things behind us. I am a prime example of that! .. I have certificates from the BAA for observing and logging the orbital motions of 400 Asteroids, but that was years ago, and now I would be lucky to find one a month because I don't remember the sequence.     I'm not very good with words in print, so it doesn't always come out how it's meant too, You guy's should be used to me by now !!.

Still seems to be a slump in predictions, I keep trying and not really getting anywhere with it, but it can't be said I'm not entertaining  Smile .

Hope all is going well with you,

Duffy,