Italy
I'm working 2 weeks at OGS Italy, on Ross Sea. A few days ago I decided I should not skip dinner again, so I walked to the local restaurant. It was closed. So, I walked back to the hotel, which is sort of a non-hotel, to read my book and go to bed. I left my book in India or on a plane.

Finally walked to Trieste (2 hours) to meet people I am working with for dinner. The Costa Mediterranea was in port (and left 1/2 hour later). I joked that it looked like a wild party on the bridge and the captain was going to show off and run aground somewhere down the coast. it is a huge ship.

My hotel has no AC or internet, and I am the only one staying there, and there is no one in the building (you get the key 4 minute walk away). It had been hot, but thunderstorm late Saturday night. I got up Sunday morning, started to walk to breakfast, and a lightning bolt struck between 200 and 400 meters away: it was not raining and I had not heard thunder before. This unnerved me so I want back to cover by the hotel for a couple of minutes. It still was not raining so I walked about 100 m and another bolt hot between 100 and 200 m in front of me. I ended up running to breakfast. Then it started raining.

Chris

(07-27-2015, 06:52 AM)Island Chris Wrote: a lightning bolt struck between 200 and 400 meters away: it was not raining and I had not heard thunder before. This unnerved me so I want back to cover by the hotel for a couple of minutes. It still was not raining so I walked about 100 m and another bolt hot between 100 and 200 m in front of me.

I've been that close to lightning before. It's quite.... loud. And bright. For me it was at night and I was looking very close to it's direction.

Hope the rest of your trip is less ... errr... shocking. Smile

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
The work is going well; I have been working really hard, most of 7 days/week, maybe 12 hours/day. This would kill me sooner or later if I kept it up, which I will not. There is lots of opportunity for deep thought. I am the only one in my hotel: in 11 days I have not seen a single other person in the hotel, although someone comes in and makes the bed (I have not seen him/her). I don't speak Italian, and there are virtually no non-Italian people. Trieste, 9 km away, is a really nice small city with lots of old things and museums and is on the Adriatic Sea. But even there the people on a weekend tend to be 95% Italian: no Germans, Americans, Asians. The cruise ship was just leaving, so earlier there must have been 2000 tourists who may have been from other countries. Meanwhile, Venice, west down the coast, is a zoo (presumably; it was a few years ago the one time I went).

So, I have lots of time by myself to just think. The hotel has no internet, I have no smart phone or service, and the hotel has no TV either. I have been working with Italian Colleagues, and we have done some "brainstorming", which is the point of such trips.

Chris