Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum

Full Version: Partial Eclipse in 3D's (Duffy's)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Thought you might like to see how the partial eclipse on Friday 20th looked like from Northern England, would have posted sooner but I was busy thinking up the thread title Huh.

[attachment=73]

This was roughly at peak eclipse time (09:30 UT), and was taken with a Samsung WB150 camera, through the eye piece of my 25x100 filtered binoculars. The weather was very overcast, so I used a bit of a grab and go set up, rather than my usual gear as this is more laboured.

[attachment=72]

This was taken 30 minutes after peak, and is basically a free hand shot using cloud cover as a natural filter. By this point, the temperature had dropped, all the birds were noisy with confusion, and my wife's pet chickens went back to bed, so I missed my egg for breakfast!.

[attachment=74]

I thought I'd add this plot screen image to show the effect a partial eclipse has on VLF, and your not likely to see this in a magazine. You can see that from 08:30 ish onwards, the red trace at the bottom of the screen (noise line) has dipped as a result of lower sky wave interferance. The rest of the traces have risen, particularly around 09:30, the pink trace (North Dakota) is showing a very strong influence, as it is with the birds, the VLF signals are responding similarly to when the Sun is setting, UV is reduced so they become stronger.

I believe the next partial eclipse in my region is about 11 years off, so if I'm still doing this, it might make a good comparison, might even have a signal from an Earthquake by then Undecided (Do Quakes have droughts or something ??)

Duffy;
(03-22-2015, 03:46 PM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

Thought you might like to see how the partial eclipse on Friday 20th looked like from Northern England, would have posted sooner but I was busy thinking up the thread title Huh.

This was roughly at peak eclipse time (09:30 UT), and was taken with a Samsung WB150 camera, through the eye piece of my 25x100 filtered binoculars. The weather was very overcast, so I used a bit of a grab and go set up, rather than my usual gear as this is more laboured.

This was taken 30 minutes after peak, and is basically a free hand shot using cloud cover as a natural filter. By this point, the temperature had dropped, all the birds were noisy with confusion, and my wife's pet chickens went back to bed, so I missed my egg for breakfast!.

I thought I'd add this plot screen image to show the effect a partial eclipse has on VLF, and your not likely to see this in a magazine. You can see that from 08:30 ish onwards, the red trace at the bottom of the screen (noise line) has dipped as a result of lower sky wave interferance. The rest of the traces have risen, particularly around 09:30, the pink trace (North Dakota) is showing a very strong influence, as it is with the birds, the VLF signals are responding similarly to when the Sun is setting, UV is reduced so they become stronger.

I believe the next partial eclipse in my region is about 11 years off, so if I'm still doing this, it might make a good comparison, might even have a signal from an Earthquake by then Undecided (Do Quakes have droughts or something ??)

Duffy;

Sorry the images have appeared looking like something from land of the giants, it's either a ghost in the machine or I need a smaller camera.

They did say on the news here that it was a BIG event Blush.

Duffy;
Thanks for sharing, Duffy. Even if they were BIG. Smile That happened because that's the size you uploaded. No harm done, though. I tend to like bigger images myself.

Brian
(03-22-2015, 09:12 PM)Skywise Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for sharing, Duffy. Even if they were BIG. Smile That happened because that's the size you uploaded. No harm done, though. I tend to like bigger images myself.

Brian

Thanks for the tactfull reply Brian, much appreciated, said I would make a BIG impression with Earthwaves. I blame Mother-in-law!!, it was her camera Angry.

Duffy;
(03-23-2015, 12:51 PM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-22-2015, 09:12 PM)Skywise Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for sharing, Duffy. Even if they were BIG. Smile That happened because that's the size you uploaded. No harm done, though. I tend to like bigger images myself.

Brian

Thanks for the tactfull reply Brian, much appreciated, said I would make a BIG impression with Earthwaves. I blame Mother-in-law!!, it was her camera Angry.

Duffy;

You probably didn't realize how big the pictures were, in pixels. Some software used to view pictures from cameras automatically shrinks them to fit the monitor or the window of the program.

But it's also partly my fault. There is a setting in the forum software to show images as full size or thumbnails. I just turned thumbnail mode on.

Brian
Hi Brian,

I now bring the 4 Mbyte .jpgs from our camera into Adobe Illustrator, scale them to something like 30% or 40%, and then export as a 200 dpi or at most 300 dpi .jpg. That keeps file size down, but also makes the graphic display at reasonable size. You might advise those who can to do that. Maybe on the Forum page.

But, if you turn it to thumbnail, they will be tiny. Duffy's are tiny now. I'll try and click on them and see if the large version comes up.

Chris
You probably didn't realize how big the pictures were, in pixels. Some software used to view pictures from cameras automatically shrinks them to fit the monitor or the window of the program.

But it's also partly my fault. There is a setting in the forum software to show images as full size or thumbnails. I just turned thumbnail mode on.

Brian
[/quote]

Thanks again Brian, just clicked on the images and they enlarge to a more respectable and viewable size.

I intend to take evening classes for computing later this year, so I hope I don't work you to hard untill then!

I bet your the real deal in the kitchen Shy (compliment).

Duffy;
(03-25-2015, 11:13 AM)Island Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Brian,

I now bring the 4 Mbyte .jpgs from our camera into Adobe Illustrator, scale them to something like 30% or 40%, and then export as a 200 dpi or at most 300 dpi .jpg. That keeps file size down, but also makes the graphic display at reasonable size. You might advise those who can to do that. Maybe on the Forum page.

But, if you turn it to thumbnail, they will be tiny. Duffy's are tiny now. I'll try and click on them and see if the large version comes up.

Chris

Clicking on them brings up the full size image in a new window. As an aside, if they were just hyperlinks to an image elsewhere on the net and not uploaded as an attachment, I think they will still show full size. I have not tested that, though.

And, I can change the thumbnail size. I'll make it bigger. hmmm.... looks like thumbnails are generated when the image is uploaded, so my change will only affect future posts. But it's now set to 640x640 rather than the 96x96 it was when those images were attached.

I also resize pictures I intend to post, unless the size is necessary. DPI is irrelevant to how big they show up on the screen. A 1024x768 300dpi images will view the same size on screen as a 1024x768 100dpi image. Although I know DPI affects printing, it's still kind of irrelevant as that truly depends on the printer capabilities.

Brian
(03-25-2015, 07:53 PM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks again Brian, just clicked on the images and they enlarge to a more respectable and viewable size.

I intend to take evening classes for computing later this year, so I hope I don't work you to hard untill then!

I bet your the real deal in the kitchen Shy (compliment).

Duffy;

Thanks. Blush

I got my first computer Christmas of '82. I did some electronics engineering after high school. Everything else is school of (virtual) hard knocks.

Currently I'm trying to put all that to good use to design some hardware so I can hopefully start a little business.

Brian