5.4 La Habra, CA
    Hi all. I'm adding an attachment for a 3D view of the faults from the Southern California Earthquake Center. I'll explain the post in a following post, as I have never tried graphics before.

Chris[attachment=11]

I could have brought all the quakes into Gocad, but I have not done that in 8 years and would have to find an old IMAC and run my BASIC program on it, and it would take me 2 days. I should rewrite the program to run in modern windows (Like I have time).

OK, the upper left map is epicenters from SCEC page. The upper right is the SCEC Community Fault Model view in Gocad software. I tilted it a degree or so so that faults represented as vertical will show up (Newport-Inglewood for example). Craig Nicholson of UCSB and Andreas Plesch of Harvard have been working to use seismicity to more accurately represent faults, which are not likely to be perfectly vertical.

I scaled this fault map to be same scale as the SCEC map, then made a polygon around quakes and copied it to the Gocad map.

The lower left is an oblique view, The Red arrow points to approximately 7.5 km below the main shock. It is below the Puente Hills thrust fault segments and so not on this fault, as I suggested in my first post.

I put my full name on the graphic, since this graphic may be of wider interest. I am Christopher "Chris" Sorlien, Associate Research Geologist at University of California, Santa Barbara, working from home office on some island in southern New England. I published a paper in 2013 about offshore faulting and folding in this area, that also discusses that the big faults project beneath Los Angeles.

Ran out of coffee: going for walk.

Chris

Brian was getting discouraged, and there have been few posts, and this has been going on for years. So, I said that interest will pick up with a major quake. Not major, but careful what you wish for.

I also said I would try and post graphics, so did so. Guess I have to make graphics half page across?

Chris

Messages In This Thread
5.4 La Habra, CA - by Skywise - 03-29-2014, 04:20 AM
RE: 5.4 La Habra, CA - by Island Chris - 03-29-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: 5.4 La Habra, CA - by Island Chris - 03-29-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: 5.4 La Habra, CA - by Skywise - 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM
RE: 5.4 La Habra, CA - by PennyB - 03-29-2014, 04:48 PM
RE: 5.4 La Habra, CA - by Skywise - 03-29-2014, 08:26 PM
4.1 aftershock - by Skywise - 03-29-2014, 09:45 PM
RE: 5.4 La Habra, CA - by Island Chris - 03-29-2014, 10:17 PM
RE: 5.4 La Habra, CA - by Skywise - 03-29-2014, 11:24 PM