Making Earthwaves more 'attractive'
(03-27-2014, 01:44 AM)Skywise Wrote: question 1 - shall we open Earthwaves.org up to the search engines?

Yes, if you keep a tight grip on who gets in.

Quote:Question 2 - I propose making registration automatic via valid email verification. However, new users would be placed into a probationary access level that limits their posting privileges to no pictures or links (as these are often used by spammers) and a few other restrictions, and their messages are embargoed until I examine them for appropriateness. At the same time I can still check their accounts against blacklists and weed out the spammers. It's a little more work for me, but I'm willing to do it.

Sounds good as long as you're willing.

Quote:Topics of Discussion

The primary topic of discussion on Earthwaves has always been (as far as I know), earthquake prediction.

Anyway, prediction will ALWAYS be on topic here and that's why there are now specific forums for that subject.

With the new software, I have already added a few new forums for other specific or general topics, but I have attempted to keep the subjects relevant to the original mission of this website or to the user base (such as the programming section).

Up to you, just don't go Earthboppin on us.

Quote:Question 3 - although the current level of posting may not merit additional forums, I would like to solicit ideas of directions in when we could expand discussion, now, soon, or down the road. Where can Earthwaves go in the future?

I'd like to keep it down to sincere questioners wanting information, experts who can supply answers (know any?) and amateur predictors making serious detailed predictions (ones I can evaluate).

Quote:However, it seems much of the website is very old. There are references to people and the original owner whom I have no knowledge of. I don't want to get rid of it as I appreciate it's potential historical value.

But, perhaps the 'old' website could be set aside for safe keeping and new content generated that is relevant to current events and knowledge.

I thought that had already been done?

Quote:Maybe it could be revived, but turned into a wiki so that anyone (or with an account) could add relevant content. The goal I had was to provide a single resource that the general public and amateur quake enthusiasts could go to get solid reliable information. It could become popular when California eventually falls off into the Pacific Tongue.

But it's also possible we could add other content as well, but I'm a little short on the idea department.

It would be a good place to put links to authentic articles.

Quote:Question 4a - Would folks like a wiki and be willing to contribute to it on occasion?

Sure.

Quote:Question 4b - Any other ideas for the rest of Earthwaves.org in general?

No.

Quote:Question 5 - Do you have any ideas that I'm simply not seeing?

No.

Roger

[/quote]

Messages In This Thread
Making Earthwaves more 'attractive' - by Skywise - 03-27-2014, 01:44 AM
RE: Making Earthwaves more 'attractive' - by Roger Hunter - 03-27-2014, 03:40 AM
Thanks everyone. - by Skywise - 03-30-2014, 08:51 PM