Post Seismic Observation 5 / 3 / 2017
(03-08-2017, 02:27 PM)Roger Hunter Wrote:
(03-08-2017, 10:05 AM)Duffy Wrote: Roger;

Did you following the instructions I gave in the first post of this thread ?

Bearing is just a lazy way of typing co-ordinates, I assumed its meaning would be understood in this context.

I'm not Irish, I'm English ... If my words are being poorly understood, I can only apologies for being English !

Duffy
Duffy;

Didn't understand it then, still don't, probably because I'm not looking at the map you're using.

In any event, you're selecting 4 locations, finding quake locations associated with those location (timewise?) and then betting that future quakes will happen there too.

Is that anything close to what you're doing and if so, what happened to sun and moon locations?

I understood what you meant by bearing, it just throws the rhythm of the dialog off.

As a side note, I've been to London, Aberdeen and Belfast in the past, passing thru on my way to pick up the oceanographic research ship I was working on at the time. Back in the 60s, that was.

Roger

Duffy;

Ok after giving this some thought, here's what I think is happening.

By whatever means, you're selecting 4 locations.

These locations determine two longitude bands of interest 

From those you are finding the areas that have the most quakes in a month.

Quakes are predicted for the areas with the most quakes in the past.

This is just playing the odds and it's self-defeating because the highest probability is the least valuable in determining significance.

High probability gives you more hits but they're worth less.

All of this could be done in advance but it would be a huge file. Then, getting a signal, it would be a simple look-up process.

Roger

Messages In This Thread
Post Seismic Observation 5 / 3 / 2017 - by Duffy - 03-05-2017, 08:38 PM
RE: Post Seismic Observation 5 / 3 / 2017 - by Roger Hunter - 03-08-2017, 04:48 PM