losing the joy of writing
(11-05-2015, 11:34 AM)Island Chris Wrote: I finally wrote my password down in the notebook I am using. I talked to the neighbor who is a research biologist. We had brought the compost pile by to trick or treat (really!). We brought up that my lovely daughter could volunteer for her, but at a much higher level than before. The biologist mentioned that the process to see a manuscript through to publication essentially tore any joy that there had been in the project.

Foggy here on the island. I have taken up mountain biking. My life is going through a major change.

Chris

As you know I am a science enthusiast. At one time I was thinking maybe I should make it something more. Lots of school for sure. But when I learned that in many sciences you spend most of your time begging for funding and fighting for publication, I lost interest. The notion of scientists working in labs with lots of high tech equipment or doing research in the field isn't quite true. Yes, they do that, but it seems you're more of a paper pusher/administrator than anything else. No thanks.

I'd rather be a technician of some kind. I like to actually DO things - tinker with stuff, make things go *BOOM*, build things, etc....

I have no degrees or certs (one year of electronics engineering, though) and have been giving thought to going back to school for _something_. Problem is, for what? Seems by the time you find something that's in demand then go through school, it's no longer in demand.

I'd really like to work for myself if I can find the right thing, but it takes a lot of resources to do that.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
losing the joy of writing - by Island Chris - 11-05-2015, 11:34 AM
RE: losing the joy of writing - by Skywise - 11-09-2015, 12:55 AM
RE: losing the joy of writing - by Roger Hunter - 11-09-2015, 04:29 AM
RE: losing the joy of writing - by Island Chris - 11-09-2015, 08:37 PM
RE: losing the joy of writing - by Skywise - 11-15-2015, 10:04 PM