M8.1 quake Kermadec Islands: Tsunami watches
(03-04-2021, 09:57 PM)Island Chris Wrote: There was a M8.1 thrust quake just now north of New Zealand near Kermadec Islands. It generated a tsunami and I think there is a tsunami watch for Hawaii. It is an interesting sequence because it has a M7.4 foreshock 107 minutes ahead.
Plus there was a M7.3 6 hours before 900 km to the south, off of NE New Zealand. 

Chris

https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/.../executive

https://www.tsunami.gov/events/PHEB/2021...WEHW40.txt

Chris. So good to hear from you. Sorry I just noticed your post. Been very busy of late. Lot's of overtime at work and personal stuff.

Yes. Quite an interesting set of events along the subduction zone there by New Zealand. Multiple large events. That subduction zone goes quite deep as I've visualized it in 3D. Which leads to the next thing...

Over the last year or so, especially when I was furloughed from work for two months, I made a very concerted effort to improve my C++ and OpenGL graphics skills. Hence, I started working on my 3D quake visualization program again. It's not ready for prime time yet, but it's already quite capable.

It's kinda like GoogleEarth in that you can move around the globe and tilt the view. Unlike GoogleEarth, you can go underground. Quake hypocenters are plotted so you can see their true location within the Earth's crust. Subduction zones look really interesting as you can see the subducting slab bend downward. You can really see just how deep they go.

The program is capable of importing and exporting data in several formats, with more to come.

Also, it can directly access and download data from the USGS servers, and save it to disk.

There's still of lot of feature I've yet to implement as I'm still working on getting the core graphics engine working the way I need it to in order to have those features.

Performance is already quite good. I have displayed the entire USGS data set of 3.98 million records and even at the highest graphics settings (that I have implemented) I still get 50 FPS on my RTX2060 gpu. At lowest settings I get over 400 FPS.

I've posted a video on YouTube of an earlier version.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
RE: M8.1 quake Kermadec Islands: Tsunami watches - by Skywise - 03-09-2021, 05:39 PM