Ventura, CA
(11-09-2019, 03:25 AM)Skywise Wrote: Been a bit of a swarm in Ventura.

As of this writing, there have been 80 quakes up to mag mag 3.6 in the last 43 hours.

Chris, you did work in this area, right?

Brian

Hi Brian,'
sorry, I was going to reply when I saw this but was not home and did not have password. Yes, I worked in the Ventura to Santa Barbara to UCSB area. I missed these quakes but my seismologist co-worker Craig did not, and he wrote and abstract submitted last week for Pacific Section AAPG meeting next April (I am a co-author). These quakes shed some light on the Ventura-Pitas Point fault (north dipping) and the faults in the same area dipping the opposite way (south). The abstract states that the quakes were beneath the N-dipping fault and on or above the S-dipping fault.

It has been published a couple of times starting in 2014 that the Ventura-Pitas Point fault is part of a system of faults that could have a M8 quake, and that has had several 10 meter (6 to 10 m?) uplift events at Pitas Point in the last few thousand years.

Somewhat related, I just received an email from University of California Santa Barbara that the older buildings are going to be retrofitted for quakes over the next decade. The university is in a very bad position directly above the Pitas Point-Ventura fault.
Chris

Messages In This Thread
Ventura, CA - by Skywise - 11-09-2019, 03:25 AM
RE: Ventura, CA - by Island Chris - 01-13-2020, 06:09 PM