The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 864 - File: showthread.php PHP 7.4.10 (Linux)
File Line Function
/showthread.php 864 errorHandler->error

55 years ago
Almost missed this one... well did, by a day.

May 22, 1960 - M9.6 Chile Quake.

This is an example of magnitudes changing long after the quake and going up. Last I recalled it was only a 9.4. Then I read something today that refers to it as a 9.5. So I go and double check with the USGS catalog, and they show it as a 9.6.

Also, to tie in to other recent discussion here, the Cordon-Caulle volcano erupted 38 hours later. The volcano is located only 80 miles from Valdivia, which was devastated by the quake. So, did the quake cause the volcano to erupt? I don't immediately see anything saying exactly that, but given the very close proximity in both space and time, I don't think it's unreasonable to say it's very possible.

This quake also resulted in a tsunami that notably for our predominantly American-centric point of view, caused damage to Hilo, Hawaii. That is not to diminish the damage it caused locally in South America, where whole coastal villages were washed away.

added: http://seismo.berkeley.edu/blog/seismobl...015/05/22/

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
55 years ago - by Skywise - 05-23-2015, 09:45 PM