M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one
(05-12-2015, 07:47 PM)Skywise Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 11:15 AM)KathyKeegan Wrote:
(05-12-2015, 11:07 AM)KathyKeegan Wrote: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
And the hits keep on coming. Bunches more aftershocks. The mid India ridge is going to town.
The volcano eruptions going on right now are flexing plenty of muscle.
Here's from the Smithsonian...

Activity
Axial Seamount Juan de Fuca Ridge New
Bulusan Luzon (Philippines) New
Calbuco Chile New
Dempo Indonesia New
Karangetang [Api Siau] Siau Island (Indonesia) New
Kilauea Hawaiian Islands (USA) New
Tungurahua Ecuador New
Ubinas Peru New
Aira Kyushu (Japan) Ongoing
Asosan Kyushu (Japan) Ongoing
Chirinkotan Kuril Islands (Russia) Ongoing
Chirpoi Kuril Islands (Russia) Ongoing
Colima Mexico Ongoing
Dukono Halmahera (Indonesia) Ongoing
Karymsky Eastern Kamchatka (Russia) Ongoing
Manam Papua New Guinea Ongoing
Popocatepetl Mexico Ongoing
Ruapehu North Island (New Zealand) Ongoing
Sheveluch Central Kamchatka (Russia) Ongoing
Shishaldin Fox Islands (USA) Ongoing
Turrialba Costa Rica Ongoing
Villarrica Chile Ongoing
Zhupanovsky Eastern Kamchatka (Russia) Ongoing

Other than happening to occur on the same planet, these events don't really have any direct, or likely even indirect relation to the Nepal quakes (or to each other?).

Once you start getting even a hundred kilometers away from a seismic event the relationship between two locations becomes quite small. When you start talking hundreds or even thousands of kilometers, the relationship is pretty much nil. The only causal connection is that they are all caused by plate tectonics. But the individual events have nothing to do with each other.

An analogy might be traffic accidents on freeways. A pileup on the 405 through the Sepulveda pass in LA (which seems inevitable) isn't going to have any effect on traffic on the same 405 as it passes by John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, much less what's happening on the 5 passing Disneyland, or anything at all in Vegas, Denver, or Boston. This despite the fact they are all freeways and connected such that you can drive from one to the other.

Brian

That does hold true, in most circumstances. But I don't believe it is entirely circumstantial that so many volcanic events popped up right after the first Nepal quake. The pressures from magma below have to play a role. I don't recall the volcanoes on Sumatra doing much before Nepal, at least not actually erupting. If they did, well you have access to much better data.

I've only recently been well enough to start focusing on much more than myself. When I had the first seizure I was on life support for 5 days, and wasn't home for more than 6 months.

Messages In This Thread
M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-12-2015, 09:02 AM
context to global activity? - by Island Chris - 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-12-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-12-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by KathyKeegan - 05-14-2015, 01:06 AM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-14-2015, 03:35 AM