M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one
Leonardo Seeber and John Armbruster of Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory got on a plane with seismometers the day after the 1999 Izmit earthquake, and unlike everyone else, put the instruments up near the west end of the rupture. They then recorded a 3D history (=4D) of seismicity leading to the following M7+ Duzce. This is published somewhere.

I suspect there was some precursor for today's earthquake. The question is whether the area is instrumented enough to see it (or whether foreshocks, if any, were large enough). I wonder if anything could be seen from satellite data.

Is of interest to other areas including southern California. For example, there was discussion 20 years ago about a big San Andreas earthquake rupturing together with the Sierra Madre (oblique?) thrust, as some sort of worst case. There could be a delay between quakes of hours, months, decades. So, the question would be, when the big central San Andreas quake occurs, do you do anything about possible triggered/delayed events? Lower reservoir levels? Wait, there is little water in the reservoirs. I think you might only do something if there was some pattern of seismicity or other things....but in next decades you probably will still not know what is coming.

Chris

Messages In This Thread
M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-12-2015, 09:02 AM
context to global activity? - by Island Chris - 05-12-2015, 12:42 PM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-12-2015, 07:47 PM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-12-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Skywise - 05-14-2015, 03:35 AM
RE: M7.3 Nepal - yes, another one - by Island Chris - 05-12-2015, 12:53 PM