Sand box simulations
Thanks Brian: I forwarded this to 3 earth scientists, and the link to the Kyushu subduction slow quakes to two of them.

I will probably look at some of the videos at the link because I am submitting a proposal tomorrow on the Ventura-Santa Barbara-Pt Conception fold-thrust belt. There is a 3D seismic reflection data volume between about 15 and about 15 km west of UCSB. Heck and Edwards, who are Santa Barbara petroleum geologists, interpret this as a passive roof duplex, which is a stack of thrust faults, with the direction of slip on the upper one opposite that of the lower faults. This is another way of saying it is a tectonic wedge being inserted (can google these). My interpretion is of just N-dipping faults: I have not yet interpreted the roof thrust(s), although I can see where it would be.

This is the Gato Canyon 3D volume. They drilled wells in the 1980s, that had as much as 5000 barrels/day oil in tests. But, it was never produced, and the oil company sued the Federal government and won (which was correct: the government took their money on the lease sale and then prevented development of the field).

Chris

Messages In This Thread
Sand box simulations - by Skywise - 05-14-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: Sand box simulations - by Island Chris - 05-14-2015, 12:36 PM