Fake quakes
(05-01-2015, 10:25 AM)Island Chris Wrote: Hi Brian,

This, and pseudo-science, a crazy stuff like denying science all together (no human-induced climate change, no evolution, etc etc) are not harmless. You and I and others spent a lot of energy trying to get some former posters to admit reality. Despite few posts, this site is better now.

On the other hand, I am semi-anonymous in part so I can post speculative stuff. But, there is a difference.

Chris

Speculation is a GOOD thing. It's how new ideas start. "What if?" is an important question to ask. The harm is when speculation turns into unwavering belief in spite of contrary evidence. That's called self deluded fantasy.

Speaking of speculation, I have often wondered if the most die hard fanatics and adherents of 'alternative' ideas are in fact mentally disabled in a diagnosable way, either physically or psychologically. I know that sounds harsh and I know of no way to say it 'softly'. But I find it difficult to accept that a person would continue to believe in a line of thinking that is so utterly and patently falsifiable. I mean, literally, like someone believing that water doesn't exist. Ridiculous example, but not so far from the truth on some of the 'alternative' ideas out there.

Having said that, that speculation has made me realize that I should restrain from ridiculing such people. I mean, if they do have an issue, it may not be their fault. Besides, ridicule doesn't solve anything.

On the other hand, I do believe we are on the cusp of a New Dark Ages.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Messages In This Thread
Fake quakes - by Skywise - 05-01-2015, 01:55 AM
RE: Fake quakes - by Island Chris - 05-01-2015, 10:25 AM
RE: Fake quakes - by Skywise - 05-01-2015, 08:57 PM