Chris debunks UFO theories?
Thanks Brian,

I had nothing to do with the debunking except having worked on this structure much earlier (so others used this work to debunk). The reference to my earlier paper is below, and JGR is an AGU publication so should be Open Access now.

Yes, I get similar artifacts gridding sparse data, depending on how I grid it. Some of the Google Earth sea floor is based on dense sampling by multibeam bathymetry and does not have these artifacts: you can see a lot of detail on these data, including Dume (?) Canyon. Where there is no multibeam, the sea floor is based on point data including 100 year old data. This can be dense in shallow water, but surprisingly sparse in the deep offshore bathymetric basins, with as much as 1 km between points (enough to hide a 1 km-wide spaceship!). I have a figure of faults between San Diego and about San Clemente where I gridded faults differently; some are very smooth with few artifacts but not much precision, with others are completely bumpy etc.

OK: Sycamore Knoll, the giant UFO base in question, is an anticline above the Santa Monica-Dume fault, which dips about 45 deg north. Santa Monica Basin to its south is subsiding because of post-rift thermal contraction and the weight of sediment loading. Relative to the basin, Sycamore knoll is uplifting relative to the basin because of a reverse component of slip on this left-lateral fault. There is a reverse component because of bends in the fault strike there. The rock uplift at Sycamore knoll is just enough to make a little island during glacial times of low sea level, so it is eroded by waves and makes a relatively smooth sea floor, same as the rest of the continental shelf. Not so mysterious!

Reference below,

Chris

Sorlien, C. C., M. J. Kamerling, L. Seeber, and K. G. Broderick (2006), Restraining segments and reactivation of the Santa Monica–Dume–Malibu Coast fault system, offshore Los Angeles, California, J. Geophys. Res., 111, B11402, doi:10.1029/2005JB003632.

Messages In This Thread
Chris debunks UFO theories? - by Skywise - 12-30-2014, 10:27 PM
UFO speculation ignores reality - by Island Chris - 12-31-2014, 01:29 PM
RE: Chris debunks UFO theories? - by Skywise - 01-01-2015, 02:08 AM
RE: Chris debunks UFO theories? - by Island Chris - 01-01-2015, 02:09 PM
RE: Chris debunks UFO theories? - by Island Chris - 01-01-2015, 02:11 PM
RE: Chris debunks UFO theories? - by Skywise - 01-02-2015, 03:50 AM
RE: Chris debunks UFO theories? - by Island Chris - 01-02-2015, 01:02 PM