hot off press from New Zealand: my island house is doomed
Below is my email to a neighbor at 22 m elevation, and to IW and HD
(island wife and heartland daughter):

I heard 3 excellent Keynote talks in a row yesterday; they were filmed and may be on-line (I'll ask). We may have 1000 years. Indeed, 22 meters is a real number. The say 17 m of sea level rise form marine-based Antarctic ice. Plus 5 m from Greenland. I thought Greenland was 6 or more meters. Tim Naish showed a graph that Antarctica can do 1 m of sea level rise per century. But then he discussed a meltwater pulse at 14 1/2 ka. I think Milene is working on this meltwater pulse for her coral ideas offshore Haiti. It was about 4 m rise per century. But, there were northern hemisphere ice sheets to melt then. Tim speculated that maybe 2 or 3 m of that could have come from Antarctica, but that was a Max; I'd guess (speculate) less.

The question is whether Greenland will melt much faster than 1000 years. I would speculate "yes".

***I'll add here for earthwaves that 1000 years may be at current 400 ppm CO2: if it goes 2x or 3x higher, + methane, one could assume some bets are off.

Chris

Messages In This Thread
R my island house is doomed in 1000 years - by Island Chris - 08-25-2014, 04:33 PM
volcanoes in Auckland - by Island Chris - 08-24-2014, 01:11 AM
Puget sound - by Island Chris - 09-01-2014, 04:33 PM
sea level rise - by Island Chris - 09-02-2014, 06:21 PM