M6.9 on North Anatolian fault Aegean Sea
Hi all,

Making this graphic took several hours, and I had to be a bit careful to give credit, thus all the references. The red dots with numbers are epicenters and AD=CE years (this year being 2014). I did this compilation for the McHugh et al paper but they chose not to use this type of figure (so is my figure). This work did not include Saros Gulf, where the May ~24 2014 M6.9 right-lateral earthquake propagated into. So, unlikely that the last M6.8+ earthquake there was in year 468. If people ask, I will check.

OK, let's see if I can get the .jpg:

Chris

OK, checked Ambraseys 2002 and Meghraoui et al., 2012.

Ambraseys puts M6.8 and larger epicenters near the mouth of Saros Gulf for 1859 and 1893, and within Saros Gulf (east end of the aftershock on the figure I posted) in 484, 1625, and 1659. Meghraoui et al 2012 Fig. 14 have the 1776B and 1912 earthquakes (and others) rupture pretty far west into Saros Gulf. The point of these posts are partly to look at the earthquake history because the M6.9 quake of the other day will presumably advance the occurrence of the next similar quake both to the east and west of the recent rupture. The history includes large earthquakes in the same year (1766, and 1999 East of Marmara Sea), and on the same day (1343).

Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Messages In This Thread
RE: M6.9 on North Anatolian fault Aegean Sea - by Island Chris - 05-27-2014, 04:27 PM