M4.2 Castaic California: restarting Tony's thread
Hi All,

I took my morning Towsley Canyon hike and ran into some Mountain Conservancy people; volunteers and employees. I mentioned the water in the canyon. One of the employees - who looked like a professional old timer - said that he noticed the same thing.

He did offer, however, that some of the seepage could be coming from a creek at the "back side" of "the narrows." Apparently, if you go over the mountains immediately to the northwest of the narrows, the land is vast and there is a full time running creek back there. He mentioned that, sometimes, it takes a long while for water to "percolate" through to the narrows. (I'm just relating what he stated. I have no idea how this works.) On the other hand, he did notice a considerable increase in the water in the canyon (as depicted in the photos I posted).

Then he offered something very interesting. He stated that, just prior to the Clearwater (?) Fault 4.2 quake of the other day, he had noticed pooling of water in the Santa Clara riverbed. He mentioned that the riverbed was bone dry prior to that. On my way back, I passed over the Golden Valley overpass (right by the intersection of Golden Valley and Soledad Canyon in Santa Clarita) and there was a clear view of water pooling on the sand in the riverbed.

I believe that the valley aquifers are below the riverbed. I know this from the ammonium perchlorate contamination from years ago when the rocket fuel companies would shoot open barrels of ammonium perchlorate and just let it sink into the ground. I understand that some of the aquifers are around 1,500 to 1,700 feet below ground.

He had no idea about the Ruby Canyon water situation.

Anyway, just passing it along . . . .

Tony

Messages In This Thread
More information on the water mystery - by zinnanti - 01-08-2015, 03:33 AM