Has Earthwaves become damaging to science?
It is important for scientists to communicate to the public. Most of us, including me, are not good at this. In the United States, there are real problems with people believing all kinds of stuff that is just not true; not believing in Evolution, Climate-related science, etc. The last few months scientists and good amateur scientists have not been reading the posts that I know of, and from the couple I have read (I'm not reading the vast majority), there is a lot of garbage being posted. It is not being challenged. It is kind of pointless to challenge some of this.

So Earthwaves has become a source of misinformation. Maybe it is time it was shut down. Alternatively, Richter needs his login revoked, and we need to look at what Duffy is posting.

Chris

(10-09-2016, 12:19 PM)Island Chris Wrote: It is important for scientists to communicate to the public. Most of us, including me, are not good at this. In the United States, there are real problems with people believing all kinds of stuff that is just not true; not believing in Evolution, Climate-related science, etc. The last few months scientists and good amateur scientists have not been reading the posts that I know of, and from the couple I have read (I'm not reading the vast majority), there is a lot of garbage being posted. It is not being challenged. It is kind of pointless to challenge some of this.

So Earthwaves has become a source of misinformation. Maybe it is time it was shut down. Alternatively, Richter needs his login revoked, and we need to look at what Duffy is posting.

Chris

Agree on Richter. 

I'm working with Duffy trying to program his method for a long term test.

Roger

First I must apologize for not being able to be more active on the forum. Some of you privately know my situation. It is improving but has not yet reached a point where I can spend time here regularly.

I, too, am a little concerned about recent posts. Although I wanted predictions to be a part of what we discuss here I never intended them to be the primary focus of the site.

But, the rest of us (me included) haven't been doing our part to offset those posts, either by directly addressing them or posting other content. Although I can understand that the lack of readers here might make folks not interested in posting since, well, who'd read it, right?

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
(10-09-2016, 11:57 PM)Skywise Wrote: First I must apologize for not being able to be more active on the forum. Some of you privately know my situation. It is improving but has not yet reached a point where I can spend time here regularly.

I, too, am a little concerned about recent posts. Although I wanted predictions to be a part of what we discuss here I never intended them to be the primary focus of the site.

But, the rest of us (me included) haven't been doing our part to offset those posts, either by directly addressing them or posting other content. Although I can understand that the lack of readers here might make folks not interested in posting since, well, who'd read it, right?

Brian

I don't think that shutting down a site where a few competent scientists still continue to engage in conversation with the public is a good idea.  There are a ton of sites out there about geology..and many of them are just bogus or fantasies.  I still try to convince people that Mount Shasta is not filled with golden cities, but keeping channels open is always a good idea.  Perhaps a separate category for different kinds of prediction?  I know that I made one for the Bay area last August based on increased quake activity there.  But silence is not a good idea, IMHO.  Sorry that I am retired and have little new to contribute!

(10-27-2016, 06:08 PM)PennyB Wrote: I don't think that shutting down a site where a few competent scientists still continue to engage in conversation with the public is a good idea.

Penny, so good to hear from you. It's been too long.

This may be a small site that gets little posting, but it does get traffic. On average so far this year my hosting gets about 7000 unique visitors and 80 gigabytes of traffic per month. It's hard for me to split my two sites apart, but the vast bulk of it is to this forum.

Looking at the forum stats themselves shows that the most viewed threads are mostly science related, with the top viewed thread being my post on What *IS* Science.

On my own personal pages, the top hit is to my article regarding one of the 'we never went to the moon' conspiracies - Why The Apollo Moon Pictures Have No Stars.

I think this speaks well of Earthwaves as a useful source of hard science. Even though we don't talk much at the moment, what we have said is still getting attention.

Brian

(10-28-2016, 12:01 AM)Skywise, Please don\t shut it down.  I think this is going to be more popular sooner than later. Wrote:
(10-27-2016, 06:08 PM)PennyB Wrote: I don't think that shutting down a site where a few competent scientists still continue to engage in conversation with the public is a good idea.

Penny, so good to hear from you. It's been too long.

This may be a small site that gets little posting, but it does get traffic. On average so far this year my hosting gets about 7000 unique visitors and 80 gigabytes of traffic per month. It's hard for me to split my two sites apart, but the vast bulk of it is to this forum.

Looking at the forum stats themselves shows that the most viewed threads are mostly science related, with the top viewed thread being my post on What *IS* Science.

On my own personal pages, the top hit is to my article regarding one of the 'we never went to the moon' conspiracies - Why The Apollo Moon Pictures Have No Stars.

I think this speaks well of Earthwaves as a useful source of hard science. Even though we don't talk much at the moment, what we have said is still getting attention.

Brian

(11-14-2016, 04:49 PM)marc / berkeley Wrote: Skywise, Please don't shut it down.  I think this is going to be more popular sooner than later.

Hi Marc. Long time no see!! It's great to hear from some old friends around here.

If anything, I've thought for some time of expanding the discussion. There are several other areas of science that I am very interested in. But it would require active participation on my part to get things rolling and I just don't have the ability to do that at the moment.

The only thing that threatens the board is finances. I just paid the hosting last month which is the largest expense, and the Earthwaves domain comes due in a few months, but that doesn't cost too much. We're good for while.

Brian

(10-09-2016, 12:19 PM)Island Chris Wrote: It is important for scientists to communicate to the public. Most of us, including me, are not good at this. In the United States, there are real problems with people believing all kinds of stuff that is just not true; not believing in Evolution, Climate-related science, etc. The last few months scientists and good amateur scientists have not been reading the posts that I know of, and from the couple I have read (I'm not reading the vast majority), there is a lot of garbage being posted. It is not being challenged. It is kind of pointless to challenge some of this.

Chris

See my last post.

Roger