International Antarctic Earth Science meeting in India
I put this in the Earth Sciences category because hopefully I will post some science later. I just got up from a 5 hour nap in Goa India after 33 hours of traveling. First time to Asia with exception of Asia Minor (Turkey). Kind of wasted on me because I am the world's worst traveler. But, looking out over a monsoon-windy Indian ocean. This is the international Antarctic Earth Sciences meeting held once every 4 years. It is held in northern hemisphere summer because winter is summer in Antarctica and hence field season.

I give a talk on Friday on evidence for the first Antarctic glaciation before 30 million years ago "?". "?" in title because it is controversial, even among my co-authors, one of whom has been declining to be co-author. I needed my nap because I worked on the flights and for my 6 hour layover in Mumbai on a 3D velocity model for Ross Sea: starting on a small part: a mere 400 km by 300 km. My study area is 900 km by 400 km of Ross Sea. Antarctica is not a small place.

Chris

Goa, the birthplace of Goa Trance music in the 90's, which influenced Psychedelic Trance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goa_trance

I'm kinda odd in that I don't need drugs to enjoy this stuff.

Wow... this is almost 20 years old...

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
A lot of what I do is tedious and repetitive, like many jobs. I was doing a lot of spreadsheet work on my trip in economy class and airports. When I plugged the numbers into the donated 3D industry software, about midnight local India time, it did not work. I've been doing this a long time so tried all kinds of stuff to see why it did not work, and about an hour later realized I had entered milliseconds instead of decimal seconds. So, then I spent the next hour and a half deleting decimal points and adding new ones 3 columns over: 600 times. To do the series of spreadsheets over again would have taken longer.

This worked.
Chris

I saw the keynote talk by Lonnie Thompson (?) this morning on high elevation tropical glaciers. He said that the last ice between the Himalaya and the Andes, which is on a mountain in Papua New Guinea, will be gone in about 3 years, as will the last ice on Kilimanjaro. The Himalayan glaciers are mostly decreasing also. I learned that the affects of man-made global warming on doubled at high elevation.

Also, the ice records show super droughts in the 1790s and also in the 15th (?) Century. The 1790s drought lead to starvation deaths of 12 million Indians (south Asians). I may have mis-understood/mis remembered, but these may be tied to super El Ninos.

Chris