strong magnetic storm watch for today
The protons have arrived but the K index is not showing storming yet:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/strike-3-t...el-22-june

Chris

There was a severe magnetic storm yesterday the 23rd June. The aurora is pretty far south, near Canada-USA border: may have been farther south yesterday.

There was a fair amount of discussion on Earthwaves more than a decade ago about magnetic storms and earthquakes. Roger demonstrated with data that there was no significant relationship, at least for the strong flares, storms, etc. and magnitudes of earthquakes that he checked.

I see nothing unusual on the global map of quakes today; looking at last week's quakes. (looking at M2.5 and above USA, is usually M4.5 and above globally plus "significant").

Chris

(06-24-2015, 01:13 PM)Island Chris Wrote: There was a fair amount of discussion on Earthwaves more than a decade ago about magnetic storms and earthquakes. Roger demonstrated with data that there was no significant relationship, at least for the strong flares, storms, etc. and magnitudes of earthquakes that he checked.

I would have to ask, before even going to the catalogs, how? I mean, by what possible mechanism could solar flares or geomagnetic storms cause or trigger earthquakes? I would then have to ask if the proponents of this idea even know, I mean truly know and understand just what a solar flare is or a geomagnetic storm.

But alas, learning a little science, learning some facts is verboten in this day and age. Might as well say quakes are caused by voodoo and witchcraft gone bad. If only the damned fools knew how to cast spells properly.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
A lot of this discussion started with a Univ of Colorado Ph.D seismologist, but who probably came from the world of amateur science. He used to post here and was the one who told me about Earthwaves. That seismologist had a lot of "unusual" ideas. But, there was a little bit of physics behind it: fluctuating magnetic fields and rotating fluids exert a force. My physics is/are rusty and I don't know anything about magneto-telluric currents and whether geomagnetic storms can have any affect on them at a depth that matters (in some areas some seismicity is shallow, but would need to get down a couple of km).
Chris

Another coronal mass ejection towards earth...at 3 million miles/hour. There is a nice image of it:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/sun-produc...cted-event

Chris