Sand box simulations
Found a set of sand box simulations on YouTube of various thrust fault types. Quite good with excellent annotation and analogy to real world structures. Some of these are relevant to the types of structures found on the Himalayan range.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGeoModels/videos

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Thanks Brian: I forwarded this to 3 earth scientists, and the link to the Kyushu subduction slow quakes to two of them.

I will probably look at some of the videos at the link because I am submitting a proposal tomorrow on the Ventura-Santa Barbara-Pt Conception fold-thrust belt. There is a 3D seismic reflection data volume between about 15 and about 15 km west of UCSB. Heck and Edwards, who are Santa Barbara petroleum geologists, interpret this as a passive roof duplex, which is a stack of thrust faults, with the direction of slip on the upper one opposite that of the lower faults. This is another way of saying it is a tectonic wedge being inserted (can google these). My interpretion is of just N-dipping faults: I have not yet interpreted the roof thrust(s), although I can see where it would be.

This is the Gato Canyon 3D volume. They drilled wells in the 1980s, that had as much as 5000 barrels/day oil in tests. But, it was never produced, and the oil company sued the Federal government and won (which was correct: the government took their money on the lease sale and then prevented development of the field).

Chris