anyone paying attention to the swarms in the S Pacific?
And around New Britain?
There's a whole lot of shaking going on since the Nepal quake.
http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

(05-06-2015, 12:19 PM)KathyKeegan Wrote: And around New Britain?
There's a whole lot of shaking going on since the Nepal quake.
http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/

The big stuff is mainly tension finally giving way along major fault lines. Fracking doesn't apply near New Guinea, Nepal, Chile, Antarctica and San Andreas. There's enough of a problem in California even that state has enough of a clue not to do it. It's all major plate fault lines finally breaking loose. Nepal triggered New Guinea off. They had 4 7.4's and a 7.5 within minutes of each other 13 hours ago. Still doing aftershocks up in the 5's. At least there's no problem with population around there. Or in the close to Antarctica island arcs that are getting into the act. Those are basically in the "Where the Hell's that?" category. Let's hope that stuff stays there. A Chile volcano got stirred up, but they knew that was coming. That's fertilizing their biggest agricultural region.

Let's see, Papua/New Guinea is having a party to the tune of 7.1, The Fijis have the wiggles, the South Sandwich Islands have the hiccups, the far east corner of Kamchatka is dancing, the Marianas didn't want to be left out in the cold, the Molucca Sea is waving, the Azores got bored 20 minutes ago, Los Angeles didn't want to be left out of the act, Hokkaido is giggling, Oklahoma did not say Mother may I, southeastern Europe must be bored, Iran said Hi, and Sicily didn't have anything interesting going on and joined in with something little. Oh, and something called Loyalty Islands is not being nice down near Antarctica and Argentina.

And all that is just since Friday.

Plus, there is a sea mount off of the Pacific Northwest coast of Canada that is erupting now. That is causing some bumping around.

(05-06-2015, 12:42 PM)KathyKeegan Wrote: Plus, there is a sea mount off of the Pacific Northwest coast of Canada that is erupting now. That is causing some bumping around.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...100731.htm

Hi Kathy,

welcome, have you posted before? Interesting posts. We badly need people to post new things. I was thinking of posting about a line of small quakes, NE-SW (cross fault), near the California Bay area (Concord), and more quakes in the Los Angeles region (I think Brian has another thread I have not gotten to yet). But, you make the assumption that all the quakes are related. Some might be, but your will always have a lot of quakes. Yes, the New Britain quakes were almost as large as Nepal and we did not discuss them here.

Round the world Volvo ocean race leading boats 30 nautical miles south of the island: I want to see them finish at Newport, if before dark. The light wind may run out before they finish...and the later boats will encounter an outgoing tide.

Chris

There has been a M7.1 quake relatively far SE of the New Britain (Papua New Guinea) quakes; far outside the aftershock zone/swarm zone. But, logically liable to be related. But, the process on how it might be triggered would not be clear. Probably not seismic wave triggering (although who knows). Someone would have to look at static stress.

OK, I'm curious about the geology of the big swarm. One of the largest ones was thrust.

Chris

(05-07-2015, 10:45 AM)Island Chris Wrote: There has been a M7.1 quake relatively far SE of the New Britain (Papua New Guinea) quakes; far outside the aftershock zone/swarm zone. But, logically liable to be related. But, the process on how it might be triggered would not be clear. Probably not seismic wave triggering (although who knows). Someone would have to look at static stress.

OK, I'm curious about the geology of the big swarm. One of the largest ones was thrust.

Chris

I only just found the board. Like I said, I've been watching stuff for years.
I'm really thinking more of a volcanic blow coming around there somewhere. The quakes are progressively getting closer to the surface. That's inside the island arc systems, I believe. There must be a cone over there in a bad mood because of Nepal. There's been quakes from everywhere like west Sumatra to to the far South Pacific, but the biggest are near New Britain so far.

Answering myself again...
Something cute. They are occurring in sets of threes. Two 7.1's and a 7.2, then a gap, then some around 5's, then a gap...
Probably just reporting stations on something similar, but it keeps recurring and also moving closer to the surface.