NV swarm continues
Now over 3000 events recorded since it started on July 11, 2014.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Brian (or anyone),
If you see any information on what is going on (what fault is moving, and why, and what its dip is), let us know. I remember that you correctly posted that the location precision was too low, but they later put out additional stations. I'm guessing those additional stations do not now go to the automatic locations, but will be used later.

Chris

(01-14-2015, 12:36 AM)Skywise Wrote: Now over 3000 events recorded since it started on July 11, 2014.

Brian

I am hoping to go up to this area in the Spring (winter is a lousy time up there!) I don't live far away. Alas, out of the loop on instruments, etc. but am looking forward to surveying the terraine! I would guess (hope?) that some colleges might be thinking of doing field work up there?

Penny

(01-14-2015, 12:36 AM)Skywise Wrote: Now over 3000 events recorded since it started on July 11, 2014.

Brian

Still quaking away today---a 4.2 plus many smaller. I've GOT to get up there to take a look.

(01-29-2015, 08:17 PM)PennyB Wrote:

Brian

Still quaking away today---a 4.2 plus many smaller. I've GOT to get up there to take a look.

I'd love to check it out, too. But I don't have the means. Maybe if I can find that winning lottery ticket....

Brian

(01-29-2015, 09:34 PM)Skywise Wrote:
(01-29-2015, 08:17 PM)PennyB Wrote:

Brian

I'd love to check it out, too. But I don't have the means. Maybe if I can find that winning lottery ticket....

Brian

It isn't far from where I live in Mt. Shasta. The weather this time of year can get very nasty up there so will wait until Spring, I guess. Maybe not. Such an intriguing area, and I would hope that it will be crawling with properly instrumented geologists before too long. I've been retired for several years, but can still check out the landscape! Maybe dig out my Brunton...but probably useless now! Undecided
Penny

Hi Penny,
Take some pictures with geology, especially large areas of the fault scarps or escarpments. Then make some smaller .jpgs (page size 200 dpi for example) and post them here. Unless you are still using film! (there was a joke there but coffee has not taken effect).

If I win the lottery and don't just retire, then it would be interesting to see whether NSF education proposal could fund some work by Brian and others. But, I'd probably never do it.

Brian, you could probably afford a Friends of the Pleistocene field trip. I went on one in 1990 and the entire cost for 3 days was $35, and that included campground fees and 100 page guidebook, which I still have. Your guitar (or whatever you play) would be very welcome. Some people bring their own special beer. They prefer to go out in the desert and have a big campfire. You carpool: there is no bus.

Let me know if you are going on one, maybe I am due.

Chris

(01-30-2015, 01:31 PM)Island Chris Wrote: Hi Penny,
Take some pictures with geology, especially large areas of the fault scarps or escarpments. Then make some smaller .jpgs (page size 200 dpi for example) and post them here. Unless you are still using film! (there was a joke there but coffee has not taken effect).

If I win the lottery and don't just retire, then it would be interesting to see whether NSF education proposal could fund some work by Brian and others. But, I'd probably never do it.

Brian, you could probably afford a Friends of the Pleistocene field trip. I went on one in 1990 and the entire cost for 3 days was $35, and that included campground fees and 100 page guidebook, which I still have. Your guitar (or whatever you play) would be very welcome. Some people bring their own special beer. They prefer to go out in the desert and have a big campfire. You carpool: there is no bus.

Chris

No Chris...I still have Camera that requires chemicals and weights fifteen pounds! I might have to hire a mule train to take me up there... Just Kidding! EGAD, one of the worse things about getting old is that I CANNOT do the things I once did (I remember mapping with a plane table, alidade and compass...and tromping around all day at Poleta!) Oh well. When I get up to the Lakeview area, I can whip out my ipod or iphone, put on my reading glasses and maybe take photos!

Cheers, Penny

(01-31-2015, 11:31 PM)PennyB Wrote:
(01-30-2015, 01:31 PM)Island Chris Wrote: Hi Penny,

Chris

No Chris...I still have Camera that requires chemicals and weights fifteen pounds! I might have to hire a mule train to take me up there... Just Kidding! EGAD, one of the worse things about getting old is that I CANNOT do the things I once did (I remember mapping with a plane table, alidade and compass...and tromping around all day at Poleta!) Oh well. When I get up to the Lakeview area, I can whip out my ipod or iphone, put on my reading glasses and maybe take photos!

Cheers, Penny

Quakes still going strong...maybe moving a bit to the NE. I can only hope that this area will be swarming with college field trips this summer!

(02-26-2015, 06:35 PM)PennyB Wrote: Quakes still going strong...maybe moving a bit to the NE. I can only hope that this area will be swarming with college field trips this summer!

I'm sure the one or two ranches I've spotted up there are getting tired of all the shaking. There's one that's practically right in the middle of the swarm.

Brian