CA warning system gets SOME funding
Full story at link.

Brian

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/...story.html

Quote:California receives U.S. funding for earthquake early-warning system

California has received congressional funding to begin rolling out an earthquake early-warning system next year, capping nearly a decade of planning, setbacks and technological breakthroughs, officials said Sunday.

Scientists have long planned to make such a system available to some schools, fire stations, and more private businesses in 2015, but their effort hinged on Congress providing $5 million. The system would give as much as a minute's warning before shaking is felt in metropolitan areas, a margin that experts say would increase survival.

The U.S. Senate approved the allocation this weekend as part of the $1.1-trillion spending package, passed by the House of Representatives on Thursday, that will fund most of the U.S. government through the rest of the fiscal year. Officials plan to announce the funding at a news conference at Caltech on Monday.

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
California has received congressional funding to begin rolling out an earthquake early-warning system next year, capping nearly a decade of planning, setbacks and technological breakthroughs, officials said Sunday.

Is a certain person J.B. a part of thr warning system? Just wondering is all! Huh

(12-16-2014, 03:21 PM)Jim W. Wrote: California has received congressional funding to begin rolling out an earthquake early-warning system next year, capping nearly a decade of planning, setbacks and technological breakthroughs, officials said Sunday.

Is a certain person J.B. a part of thr warning system? Just wondering is all! Huh

If I am thinking of who you are thinking of, I doubt it, and I would be very concerned if he was; concerned about the quality and sanity of the program.

Anyway, the warning system is NOT a prediction system. It's to warn distant locations of the arrival of existing earthquake waves for a quake that has already started. Japan and Mexico already have similar systems. I recall at least one video of the Japanese system from during the Tohoku quake. A resident in Tokyo started filming in their apartment, which included the TV showing the warning. There was a good 30 seconds of video rolling before they got the shaking.

Here's a couple videos of live broadcasts as it happened:

And one person's experience, the video I was referring to:

But it's not a perfect system. This one was apparently a false alarm:

Whereas a little shaker in the US gets these reactions:

Those who dove under their desks were mocked by some, but were in reality the smart ones.

Brian

Signing of Skywise Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
The main problem with the system is that the ones who need it most will get no warning at all.

Can't be helped. It doesn't predict, it only warns that one has happened.

Roger