Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum
M7.6 Solomon Islands - Printable Version

+- Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Earthwaves (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Earth Sciences (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: M7.6 Solomon Islands (/showthread.php?tid=86)

M7.6 Solomon Islands - Island Chris - 04-12-2014

M7.6 strike-slip Solomon Islands. There was a M7.1 a day or 2 ago in the northern Solomon Islands, but the two are pretty far apart.

Things have been pretty active globally since the north Peru M8.2, or at least it seems so.

Chris

RE: M7.6 Solomon Islands - Skywise - 04-12-2014

(04-12-2014, 10:06 PM)Island Chris Wrote: M7.6 strike-slip Solomon Islands. There was a M7.1 a day or 2 ago in the northern Solomon Islands, but the two are pretty far apart.

Heard about it on the radio. They said there were tsunami warnings. But when I saw strike slip I thought, "why?" as about the only way for these to make a tsunami is if it causes an undersea landslide, and then it would only be a local effect.

But maybe it was precautionary. I see it has been cancelled.

(04-12-2014, 10:06 PM)Island Chris Wrote: Things have been pretty active globally since the north Peru M8.2, or at least it seems so.

I'm sure there's no end of theories as to how this all works and how, ultimately, it means California is going to fall off into the ocean imminently. Tongue

Brian

RE: M7.4 Solomon Islands thrust aftershock and Los Angeles worst case(?) - Island Chris - 04-13-2014

There was just a M7.4 thrust aftershock to the M7.6 left-lateral quake in the Solomon Islands. Might be worth a look to see past history and how likely a larger subduction quake might be.

A Major or Great strike-slip earthquake on the San Andreas (or other) strike-slip fault triggering one of the major active thrusts that uplift the Los Angeles area mountains (the Sierra Madre for example) is a sort of worst case for southern California. I was at some meeting a decade ago where this scenario came up; maybe a SCEC workshop.

Chris

RE: M7.6 Solomon Islands - Skywise - 04-13-2014

(04-13-2014, 02:24 PM)Island Chris Wrote: There was just a M7.4 thrust aftershock to the M7.6 left-lateral quake in the Solomon Islands. Might be worth a look to see past history and how likely a larger subduction quake might be.

A Major or Great strike-slip earthquake on the San Andreas (or other) strike-slip fault triggering one of the major active thrusts that uplift the Los Angeles area mountains (the Sierra Madre for example) is a sort of worst case for southern California. I was at some meeting a decade ago where this scenario came up; maybe a SCEC workshop.

Chris

I did a search on the USGS map engine, centered on 11S 165E with all M7+ quakes since 1980 within 1000km radius. There's 41 listed. I think this is one the of the most active quake zones in the world for large quakes.

I'd include a link to the map, but the new USGS map urls conflict with the forum software and don't come out right.

Brian