Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum
M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Printable Version

+- Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Earthwaves (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Earth Sciences (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes (/showthread.php?tid=3150)

M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Island Chris - 10-22-2018

There was a M6.5 and 6.8 strike-slip quakes near the northern part of Cascadia, but towards the west side of the Juan de Fuca plate or a related small plate). Probably has little effect on the Cascadia subduction zone. I'll have to look late which nodal plane it is to see if it might tweak the subduction zone a tiny bit.

Chris

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Duffy - 10-22-2018

(10-22-2018, 02:35 PM)Island Chris Wrote: There was a M6.5 and 6.8 strike-slip quakes near the northern part of Cascadia, but towards the west side of the Juan de Fuca plate or a related small plate). Probably has little effect on the Cascadia subduction zone. I'll have to look late which nodal plane it is to see if it might tweak the subduction zone a tiny bit.

Chris

The following SWPC images depict how the electron flux was behaving, before and during the 6.5+ Port Hardy events.

[attachment=276]

[attachment=277]

Duffy

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Skywise - 10-23-2018

The time of the quakes is certainly coincident with the strong activity in the second graph.

The question is, are they related. That's the hard thing to answer.

Brian

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Duffy - 10-23-2018

(10-23-2018, 03:29 AM)Skywise Wrote: The time of the quakes is certainly coincident with the strong activity in the second graph.

Brian

Yes, I would have to agree. The data leaves the question open to speculation, and without a definitive correlation to the actual event location, it can only be regarded as coincidental.

Duffy

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Roger Hunter - 11-21-2018

(10-23-2018, 02:37 PM)Duffy Wrote:
(10-23-2018, 03:29 AM)Skywise Wrote: The time of the quakes is certainly coincident with the strong activity in the second graph.

Brian

Yes, I would have to agree. The data leaves the question open to speculation, and without a definitive correlation to the actual event location, it can only be regarded as coincidental.

Duffy
Duffy;

So far no hits on your prediction list.

Roger

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Duffy - 11-22-2018

(11-21-2018, 11:11 PM)Roger Hunter Wrote:

Brian

Duffy
Duffy;

Roger

True... can't seem to get a grip on this during solar minimum. 

Are you still going to be doing this in 6.5 years ? Confused 

Why are we in Earth Sciences ?

Duffy

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Duffy - 11-22-2018

(11-22-2018, 12:48 AM)Duffy Wrote:

Brian

Duffy
Duffy;

Roger

Duffy

Sorry for the negativity Roger... you are just doing your job !

Happy Thanksgiving

Duffy

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Roger Hunter - 11-22-2018

(11-22-2018, 01:22 PM)Duffy Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 12:48 AM)Duffy Wrote:

Brian

Duffy
Duffy;

Roger

Duffy

Sorry for the negativity Roger... you are just doing your job !

Happy Thanksgiving

Duffy

No worries Duffy but it's not a job, it's a hobby and no I won't be doing it in 6.5 years.

I'm 84 now so in a few more years I'll be feeding the worms.

Roger

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Roger Hunter - 03-24-2020

(10-22-2018, 02:35 PM)Island Chris Wrote: There was a M6.5 and 6.8 strike-slip quakes near the northern part of Cascadia, but towards the west side of the Juan de Fuca plate or a related small plate). Probably has little effect on the Cascadia subduction zone. I'll have to look late which nodal plane it is to see if it might tweak the subduction zone a tiny bit.

Chris

Hi Chris! Long time no see!

Roger

RE: M6.8 and 6.5 Cascadia USA strike-slip quakes - Island Chris - 04-05-2020

Roger Hunter

Hi Roger,

My post about Cascadia is from 2018. I made a post under Miscellaneous a couple of weeks ago. I'll try to post once in a while but because of Covid-19 I'm probably getting 3 times as much email traffic and I'm checking out how friends and family are doing.

Chris