Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum
a walk on the Goa beach - Printable Version

+- Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Earthwaves (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: a walk on the Goa beach (/showthread.php?tid=284)

a walk on the Goa beach - Island Chris - 07-12-2015

Hi all,

I'll post a few travel items here: we used to do a certain amount of non-science stuff on Earthwaves and some amount I think is OK. Let me know if it is not. There may be a small amount of science in these. I have an anxiety disorder. The email below I just sent to family:

I decided to escape the Marriot Resort and went for a 5 km RT walk on the beach. Half way to end, I was 1 km+ from any high ground. So, I started to think about Phuket Thailand in 2004 (Indian Ocean tsunami), and the article I read a few weeks ago about Arabian Sea paleo-tsunamis. Then I started to wonder if there were any stonefish (from movie the Endless Summer). Then, whether there were any rabid dogs or monkeys. Then, what to do for my presentation.

There are a whole bunch of probable corbids: beaks like ravens.

There are cool big (8 m?) plank boats on beach with outriggers.

There was a herd of cattle on the beach. On the way back, a cow was knee deep in the waves looking soulfully out to sea.

RE: a walk on the Goa beach - Skywise - 07-13-2015

Chris, you're not the only one who has thought trains like that. And I've gotten myself pretty anxious from them at times, too. But not really much concerning quakes, though.

However, seems every time I get stuck under an overpass in traffic, the first thing I do is look at the columns to see if they've been jacketed. In fact, there's this particular bridge I don't like. It's span is over 400 feet and about 275 feet wide (per google earth measuring tool). And although there is a row of columns in the center, they look awfully small compared to that big chunk of concrete just hanging up there. Over me. In my little car. Stuck at a red light. Sad Well, since I'm almost always in the left most lane at that part of my journey and there is no divider between me and the opposing traffic lanes, I could always sneak out that way. Smile

In case anyone wants to take a look, it's this one. Go to street view to see what I mean.
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.7895297,-117.8876195,20z

And BTW, posts like this are fine with me. That's what the Miscellaneous section is for. I'd only be concerned if they became half the posts overall! Tongue

Brian

RE: a walk on the Goa beach - Island Chris - 07-13-2015

Hi Brian,

Before the Northridge earthquake, I was doing some field work in Vasquez rocks county park (?), which I never did anything with, and would drive from UCSB and eventually exit route 5 for route 14 (?). The high overpass there was on my list of "places to not be during an earthquake". I was not aware that it had collapsed during the 1972 (1971?) San Fernando quake (you might want to check this, I may be wrong. That high overpass was fine during the Northridge quake, but the lower one in the same place collapsed, and killed a motorcycle cop.

I was just reading up on Malaria in Goa because my roommate is taking pills to prevent this. There are about 800 cases/year for 4 million people, but the link I read was for the dry season: it is monsoon, with average July rainfall of 1000 mm (40 inches).

Chris

RE: a walk on the Goa beach - Island Chris - 07-18-2015

I walked down the beach a couple of days after the post above and the cow was still there: picture by other meeting goer. Today, I walked down the beach and the cow was lying/kneeling on the wet part of beach.

Headed to Italy to work on same project for 2 weeks.

RE: a walk on the Goa beach - Island Chris - 07-18-2015

The cow picture did not work (did not appear on my post).

Chris

RE: a walk on the Goa beach - Skywise - 07-20-2015

(07-18-2015, 05:01 AM)Island Chris Wrote: The cow picture did not work (did not appear on my post).

Chris

Did you try uploading it as an attachment? Or just embed a link to the image stored elsewhere?

Brian