Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum
NE USA blizzard report - Printable Version

+- Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Earthwaves (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: Miscellaneous (http://www.earthwaves.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: NE USA blizzard report (/showthread.php?tid=195)

NE USA blizzard report - Island Chris - 01-27-2015

8:30 PM, there is a crippling 1" of snow on the ground, Weather Channel people are on the lawn wetting themselves with excitement, and all the bridges are closing at midnight in case we slip and sue them. Wind is gusting to 3 or 4 mph.

I can hardly breath with the thrill of it all.

This is all true except the Weather Channel people wetting themselves are not actually on our lawn, they are on TV, and just now we can start to hear the wind. But, really, little snow, and no heavy snow anywhere on the radar. And, they really are closing the bridges. When I was a boy, I drove my rusting Subaru over the old Jamestown bridge at the height of Tropical Storm F (1979?): no problem.

RE: NE USA blizzard report - Skywise - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 01:38 AM)Island Chris Wrote: 8:30 PM, there is a crippling 1" of snow on the ground, Weather Channel people are on the lawn wetting themselves with excitement, and all the bridges are closing at midnight in case we slip and sue them. Wind is gusting to 3 or 4 mph.

I can hardly breath with the thrill of it all.

HAHAHAHAH!!!!! No kidding. It's a bad storm, but the level of hyperbole by the media is laughable.

I remember as a kid when I lived in Utah that once we got about 3 feet of snow over the Easter weekend, on top of what was already there. Went to school on Monday.

I also remember when I was in Michigan and we had sub zero temperatures. Still went to school.

Yes. It's a bad storm. Be careful. Don't take chances. But "snowpocalypse"? Please!!!

People are getting wimpy.

You know what I'd like to see? If every smart phone suddenly stopped working for 72 hours. THAT would be entertaining to watch. The panic. The riots in the streets. The wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Not really, but you get my point.

Brian

RE: NE USA blizzard report - Island Chris - 01-27-2015

It is 8:15 AM 27th on the island and the neighbor's young dog was pretty excited, and Island Wife was pretty excited but not running around on the lawn and street. But, we have less than a foot (30 cm) of snow (could be half that); hard to tell because it is dry/powdery and blowing around. We have been in a gap in the snow on radar and has been barely snowing for hours.

I'll rant about New York state over-regulating outdoor activity (I've posted about being arrested for skating 15 years ago). I can't believe they closed the parks in New York City! That is just wrong!

Chris

RE: NE USA blizzard report - Skywise - 01-27-2015

(01-27-2015, 01:20 PM)Island Chris Wrote: I'll rant about New York state over-regulating outdoor activity (I've posted about being arrested for skating 15 years ago). I can't believe they closed the parks in New York City! That is just wrong!

I don't remember your skating incident.

But, I'm probably along your line of thinking. When I heard they were closing all streets to traffic, I thought "good luck enforcing that". Same idea as people going out in hurricanes. Or "mandatory evacuations". They can say it, but can't do a lot stop you.

Brian

Massachusetts snow damage - Island Chris - 02-10-2015

As the Americans here probably know, eastern Massachusetts including Boston has gotten spectacular amounts of snow the last 20 days or so. This is starting to cause damage: porch collapses, some more serious damage:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BOX&issuedby=BOX&product=LSR&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0

Meanwhile, no such problems down in the south where the island is (southern Rhode Island): the last storm was not really a storm: we just a convergence zone near Boston; we got 1/5 the snow from this that they did, even though it was all snow. Plus, we got half the snow in the Blizzard 2+ weeks ago, and the wind blew it all off the roofs including ours.

More snow coming during the next week.

Chris

RE: NE USA blizzard report - Skywise - 02-10-2015

(02-10-2015, 11:50 AM)Island Chris Wrote: As the Americans here probably know, eastern Massachusetts including Boston has gotten spectacular amounts of snow the last 20 days or so. This is starting to cause damage: porch collapses, some more serious damage:

Not surprised. I recall as a kid when were living in Utah at the time having to shovel the snow off the roof. Same problem - roofs caving in. I recall us calculating the approximate wight. It was so long ago I don't remember what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was over a ton.

Of course, as a little kid, I only remember it as fun and games.

Brian