Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum

Full Version: A break in radio silence....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi All,

Something came up on one of my radio monitors today, not the usual kind of signal I receive, but I thought I'd post anyway and hope it doesn't drop me on my a... like the last one. It was recorded on a 24/7 system, and I've changed my usual monitoring range in favour of the lower frequency scale, this does tend to pick up more man made disruption, but has the advantage of identifying weaker signals of the nature required.

I've also opted to post images rather than descriptive text, and hopefully you'll find them a little more ledgeble.

[attachment=80]

The image here shows a disruption in the noise line starting at 12:30 UT (21/8/15), so I guess my 48 hour prediction starts here. The noise line covers all frequencies between 8,000 Hz and 20,000 Hz, any significant EM disruption will encroach into this region.

[attachment=81]

This is the same image as before, but I've overlayed the 300 Hz (Fawn) and 26,000 Hz (White) traces to show the signal came in at 0, and after a short warning, increased in intensity beyond the white trace.

[attachment=82]

This final image is the unprocessed version, and gives you the true scale of what appears to be a short, sharp electromagnetic surge. As always, I've checked the usual variables and come up short, unfarmiliarity makes it hard to predict magnitude (assuming this is a quake!), but a close 5.5+ or a distant 6 would be an interesting outcome.

Duffy,
further to my previouse prediction, I thought I'd tag on the following image, recorded the early hours of this morning, and conveniently time stamped.
It could be one and the same, or two different anomalies, and this has the characteristic EM signature I'm use to.

[attachment=83]
(08-22-2015, 09:08 AM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]further to my previouse prediction, I thought I'd tag on the following image, recorded the early hours of this morning, and conveniently time stamped.
It could be one and the same, or two different anomalies, and this has the characteristic EM signature I'm use to.

Noting that the signals on each day are about the same time of day. Could mean something, could mean nothing.

Egad.... for the want of data. Smile

That's something that I've felt bummed about. We are living at the beginning of seismology. There simply has not been enough time in the science to have gathered enough data to really understand a lot of the processes and long term patterns.

Brian
Hi Brian,

Not quite sure I follow your meaning, but just to clarify, the 3 images in my 12:30 UT prediction come from one recorded signal only, I broke it down in an attempt to make it easier to understand. The tag on signal I included was recorded 11 hours 45 minutes later at 00:15 UT.

It could be seen as a possible near 12 hour shift pattern, but the lack of previous 12 hour cycle recordings makes this less likely.

As you say, there really isn't enough data to go on, all I can do is eliminate the variables and post it here, so it can be appreciably scrutinised to see if anything has been overlooked.

The second signal would be a more preferable prediction choice, but either way, I'm probably in for another hard landing!, Might not catch the quakes yet, but if you want a wicked lightning strike image, I'm your man Big Grin.

Duffy,
(08-23-2015, 12:33 AM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Brian,

Not quite sure I follow your meaning, but just to clarify, the 3 images in my 12:30 UT prediction come from one recorded signal only, I broke it down in an attempt to make it easier to understand. The tag on signal I included was recorded 11 hours 45 minutes later at 00:15 UT.

My mistake. I misread the time labels. I thought it was closer to 24 hours, which made me start thinking man-made.

Brian
Easily done Brian, nobody's worst than me for miss-reading or miss-understanding text, my reputation here backs up that claim Wink.

Speaking of bummers, looks like I timed out on another one, on the positive side,at least it's started picking up strange anomalies again.

Duffy,
(08-23-2015, 06:35 PM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]Easily done Brian, nobody's worst than me for miss-reading or miss-understanding text, my reputation here backs up that claim Wink.

Speaking of bummers, looks like I timed out on another one, on the positive side,at least it's started picking up strange anomalies again.

Duffy,

Even if they're not quake related, it sure would be interesting to find out just what's causing them.

Brian
Not checking whether the time matches, but there was a relatively short magnetic storm in the last 24 hours (?) and also an M class flare or two (lower than an X class flare, but significant compared to what we have been having the last few weeks.

Chris
Hi Chris

Solar storms do occasionally affect Earth's magnetic field, low energy protons produced by a storm account for most of the unevenness in the red noise line, but causes little in the way of high dB irregularities. A particularly heavy storm however, can compress inactive stations in the VLF band, so instead of having evenly spaced trace lines, they become entwined with each other, but still has no discernible effect in the noise line.

Solar flares produce X-ray's that can disrupt VLF propagation in the ionosphere, and can affect individual or multiple transmitting stations depending on who's in the firing line at the time. The actual X-ray's themselves have little or no effect on the Earth because they are absorbed by water molecules in the upper atmosphere. The only portion of the solar spectrum that actually affects us and the Earth is Ultra-Violet (Hear there's a lot of that in California at the moment Cool)).

It's a good suggestion, but since nothing has manifested itself in the allotted prediction time, I find myself broadening my variables list to include everything from increased water flows in underground springs to seismic blasting in the Greenland sea. I haven't bothered with alien contact yet!...But I'm getting there Confused.

Duffy,
Thought I'd tag on an observational note here, as it may or may not have relevance to my recording of undetermined causality.

As of 14:00 UT today, I noticed substantial aspect changes in several VLF traces, including US, UK, Iceland, Scotland and France. Out of 19 monitored channels, only these appear affected. The exception being Germany, which went off Within the last hour, and has struggled to re-establish since, this determined my decision to post.

The Sun has been active all- day, but has only produced B class flares and a couple of low C's, nothing that would show significantly in the plot. The French channel has been off most of the day, but still shows similar disruption as the active one's.

I use to associate this kind of anomalous effect with Radon, Haven't seen it quite like this for months.

Hope nobody minds me posting this here, another thread amongst my other failed predictions might start bringing on the "Cry Wolf" syndrome

Duffy,
Pages: 1 2