Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum

Full Version: What's on TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The opening story on all the the UK news channels for a while this evening, was the mag 4 in the Bay area. It has a certain appeal here as most UK residents are familiar with the iconic bridge and Alcatraz Island. But Sky News decided to go one better, they were obviously in quake mode because during the broadcast of another item, they interrupted with the "Breaking News" that a major quake of 5.9 had just occurred off the coast of Yemen.

The USGS site was up on my screen at the time, and I had to wait a further 40 minutes before they posted the info (which turned out to be a less significant 5.6). I know it's all media hype but I don't know what's more disconcerting, the fact that their trying to portray to an audience that the Earth is coming apart at the seams, or that they have an insider at USGS who thinks a 5.6 sea quake is news worthy Exclamation.

A quick note to any UK members or visitors, TV program "Terror on EverestConfusedurviving Nepal", channel 4 at 9pm Tues 18th Aug. Or it can be viewed online at WWW://channel4.com.

Duffy,
(08-17-2015, 10:14 PM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]I know it's all media hype but I don't know what's more disconcerting, the fact that their trying to portray to an audience that the Earth is coming apart at the seams, or that they have an insider at USGS who thinks a 5.6 sea quake is news worthy Exclamation.

It's the same on this side of "the pond". A newsworthy event happens and the suddenly any event of that type is suddenly "newsworthy" regardless of its insignificance. I think they're just trying to cash in on the short attention span of the average viewer who gets reeled in by the hype.

BTW, the USGS is notoriously slow for updating it's maps on the weekend. It's not an entirely automatic process for events outside the US, and if no one is in the office.... BBC probably got the info from another source.

Brian
Personally, I think they're trying to increase attention spans here, this mornings news had same quake, same story but now includes cctv footage of two guard dogs in the warehouse district of SF, and how they reacted several minutes before the quake occurred. This was followed up with an explanation from an animal behaviourist who as you can guess, suggested similar reasons to those covered here in the wild animal thread.

If you believed everything in the news here, then I figure all you need there is a big German Shepard and a strong dinning table, that way, you'll have at least a 10 minute warning and somewhere to take cover Smile.

Would have been nice if they have put the same time into the Pluto flyby!.

Staying with TV,,,Our weather guy showed West coast US experiencing a substantial heatwave, some place called Neddles, California reached a record high of 118 Fahrenheit. I can see why your having computer heat issues.

Duffy,
(08-18-2015, 02:04 PM)Duffy Wrote: [ -> ]Staying with TV,,,Our weather guy showed West coast US experiencing a substantial heatwave, some place called Neddles, California reached a record high of 118 Fahrenheit. I can see why your having computer heat issues.

"Needles". It's well known as one of the hotter places in our deserts. There's another town called "Thermal" which is just north of the Salton Sea. Guess why it got it's name?

The hottest place is usually in Death Valley at a place called Furnace Creek. Also aptly named. No records, but it was hitting 120F. Other places that get as hot are all the towns and resorts along the Colorado River between California and Arizona - Lake Havasu and Laughlin. Needles is in this area.

I was looking at temp maps and there were places reporting even higher, but I doubt their accuracy. Most don't know but there is a specific design as to exactly how temperature is to be taken and many stations aren't up to standard. They weren't 'official' weather stations anyway.

Brian