Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum

Full Version: Blue Screen of Death
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Back on line!!! A friend of mine had to do a bunch of downloads to a standalone hard drive. clean the computer and reload everything!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin
(11-19-2014, 01:40 AM)Jim W. Wrote: [ -> ]Back on line!!! A friend of mine had to do a bunch of downloads to a standalone hard drive. clean the computer and reload everything!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

BSOD's can be a pain. I was having a problem with them a year ago on my Win2K machine. Yeah. I was still using windows 2000 up to very recently. Anyway, I traced the problem to my installation of Firefox but just couldn't suss out the issue. Finally had to make the sad choice to ditch W2k. It's such a reliable OS but stuff just won't support it any more.

"Flatten and rebuild" is the best way to fix a system. I have multiple drives and try to keep as little on the OS system drive as possible.

Although I can't afford it, I keep up-to-date on the latest desktop technology by "window shopping" every now and then and building a top of the line computer. Did that the other day and "spent" about four grand.

Brian
(11-19-2014, 05:25 AM)Skywise Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2014, 01:40 AM)Jim W. Wrote: [ -> ]Back on line!!! A friend of mine had to do a bunch of downloads to a standalone hard drive. clean the computer and reload everything!!! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

BSOD's can be a pain. I was having a problem with them a year ago on my Win2K machine. Yeah. I was still using windows 2000 up to very recently. Anyway, I traced the problem to my installation of Firefox but just couldn't suss out the issue. Finally had to make the sad choice to ditch W2k. It's such a reliable OS but stuff just won't support it any more.

"Flatten and rebuild" is the best way to fix a system. I have multiple drives and try to keep as little on the OS system drive as possible.

Although I can't afford it, I keep up-to-date on the latest desktop technology by "window shopping" every now and then and building a top of the line computer. Did that the other day and "spent" about four grand.

Brian

For me I wish I had the funds for a new computer but being retired on a low fixed income is the pits!! But there is a light at the end of the tunnel an inheritance form my grandfathers estate in about 6 months then its close to easy street for the next 20 years or what ever God gives me.
(11-19-2014, 02:04 PM)Jim W. Wrote: [ -> ]For me I wish I had the funds for a new computer but being retired on a low fixed income is the pits!! But there is a light at the end of the tunnel an inheritance form my grandfathers estate in about 6 months then its close to easy street for the next 20 years or what ever God gives me.

My hardware isn't all that bad. At least I have LOTS of hard drive space. My real limitation is the video card. I like to run a flight simulator and it's very graphics intensive. I have to turn the settings down pretty low to get reasonable frame rates.

I'm not retired, but unemployment is just as bad. Still looking for that winning lottery ticket. Yeah, I know the odds. But they're even lower if you don't play. Smile

Brian