Earthwaves Earth Sciences Forum

Full Version: Solar eclipse
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Taken from Orange County, CA.

Brian

[Image: eclipse141023.png]
Nice! Yours?
Not only is the island too far east, it was cloudy. But, my daughter is in the Midwest right under the path of maximum eclipse: She forgot (I had told her) and when I called her at 6:15 Eastern, it was cloudy. We have pictures of her on top of Santa Ynez Mountains above Santa Barbara when she was little, with hundreds of crescents on and around her, projected by gaps between leaves. I suspect your eclipse left too much sun for that.

Note the sunspots in the photo: there was an X1 flare yesterday. Not exactly the quiet sun that was discussed here a few years ago, with hypotheses that quiet sun would counteract man-related global warming!

Chris
(10-24-2014, 11:58 AM)Island Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Nice! Yours?

Yes. Didn't use much more than my DSLR and a DIY filter.

(10-24-2014, 11:58 AM)Island Chris Wrote: [ -> ]...with hundreds of crescents on and around her, projected by gaps between leaves. I suspect your eclipse left too much sun for that.

I did something similar a couple years ago. You're right that this one wasn't covered enough. But the day did get noticeably dimmer and cooler.

(10-24-2014, 11:58 AM)Island Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Note the sunspots in the photo: there was an X1 flare yesterday. Not exactly the quiet sun that was discussed here a few years ago, with hypotheses that quiet sun would counteract man-related global warming!
Chris

Yeah, that big spot made that X flare. It's a pretty big spot as far as spots go. The biggest one so far in this cycle.

It's a curious thing the possible correlation between sunspot activity and climate changes.

Brian
The picture at the link is a bit freaky:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/15/tech/nasa-...le_sidebar

Chris